Alsheimer theory, overhead and underfoot, photoperiod??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mattyq2402

Alsheimer theory, overhead and underfoot, photoperiod??

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:08 am

Just wondering everyone's take is on rut activity. Which theory do you subscribe to if any? My hunt is Nov 5-11. The 6,7,8 all have morning overheads that look solid for movement weather pending. I recall Dan mentioning the overhead moon on one of his videos and Andre uses it and with the setup the moon provides those days I am hopeful. Does anyone believe Alshiemer's theorys? Alshiemers theory shows solid movement seeking and chasing up until the 6th this year, I've heard Mark Drury and others not excited about the moon phase this year calling it a trickly rut. Others believe its photo-period based, first two weeks of November are the best regardless of the above mentioned stating average doe bread is on the 15th. Wondering what others opinions are. I am psyching myself out worried I could be getting in behind the seeking and chasing. I hope and the overhead moon on those days will help me get it done. Regardless I will be in a tree all day everyday.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Alsheimer theory, overhead and underfoot, photoperiod??

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:39 am

Your dates are solid, I wouldn't worry about it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:41 am

According to Alsheimer theory the Rutting Moon is Oct 27th.
The Chase Phase will be Oct 24th to Nov 2.
The Primary Breeding window will be Nov 3 to Nov 16.
There is a dark moon phase the 2nd week of the November this year
so that is what Mark D is referring to.
I would say don't worry, just have fun and hunt.
Nov 6-11 will be a great time to be in the woods...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:12 am

I believe the historical data gotten over several years takes precedent. The bell curve for this points to specific dates based on photo-periodism. I think the Drury's, with the moon phases, might have something as far as how much daylight activity occurs. Just remember, Weather trumps everything. If it's hot or very stormy things may be tough. But if it's cool or cold things will be rockin.

And remember it's all supposed to be fun. Enjoy just being in the outdoors no matter what the conditions are and how the deer are reacting to it.

Have fun and good luck!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:12 am

Where I hunt my theory is spend every minute on stand Oct-31-Nov. 5 and it's all I go by. After that things slow down considerably. I consistently see the most seeking/chasing during those days EVERY year no matter what the moon is doing in the sky.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:18 am

Up here it's end of October to the 5-6 of November.
Moon has no effect. But then again I don't pay attention to it nor do I care to.
mattyq2402

Unread postby mattyq2402 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:38 am

Anyone see the moon guide days? If I understand it right I should have it on my side.

I am so pumped, travel 2000 miles for this trip and try not looking into it too hard because I cant change days anyhow. If I didnt see a single mature deer I would still be happy to be in a tree, its my therapy. I just got a pic from my buddy this morning of my SLAYERSEED crimson trail plot, 14 does in the pic. DEERSLAYER is the man!!!! :D
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:14 am

I'm going to dig up an old study but from what I can remember Texas A&M did an entity study, as had many wfish and game depts, and what they determined is that year after year the peak of the root doesn't change.... It is consistently within a five day window and in Texas the majority of does get breed the same day. But, died are breed from Sept to Feb down south... North it was more condensed. But there is a peak day and it's pretty consistent no matter what the moon or temp were.

Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:59 pm

I like the moon theories as far as daytime movement. My cameras see increased deer activity the week of a full moon. I think certain deer herds must have certain rut periods. One part of north Alabama was transplanted with Michigan deer and they rut in November. Most of the Alabama rut is around the 3rd week in December and at my property in Bullock county we see the rut around the 3rd week in January.

venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:47 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Your dates are solid, I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with Jackson Marsh. Don't overthink it.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:12 am

It seems like every year regardless about the 7th-12th are the best days.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:42 am

a few studies on the moon theory is interesting and makes you hmmmm... but keep in mind the weather ( if its above average temps ) and doe to buck ratio have more of an impact as well as hunting pressure .. just my opinion . the way i view it - hunt when you are able to and good luck
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:14 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:I'm going to dig up an old study but from what I can remember Texas A&M did an entity study, as had many wfish and game depts, and what they determined is that year after year the peak of the root doesn't change.... It is consistently within a five day window and in Texas the majority of does get breed the same day. But, died are breed from Sept to Feb down south... North it was more condensed. But there is a peak day and it's pretty consistent no matter what the moon or temp were.

This is true... Rut is at the same time every year. What varies is factors that make deer move in daylight. Moon O/H in chase phase can be an awesome time in some areas.
Stew

Unread postby Stew » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:49 am

I have read a few things about the Rut being at the same time every year we just see daylight activity differently and at different dates based on conditions. IMO, the Whitetails conceptial goal of the breeding cycle is to drop fawns as early in the spring as possible (but not too early or they will not survive late winter) so fawns will grow as much as possible the months prior to the coming winter for optimal survival. Thus, the Rut must occur at nearly the same time every year.

I just don't think conditions will slow the Rut down. Whitetail have two focuses survival and procreation. If a buck will basically starve himself during the Rut he wil surely continue to chase regardless of temps and weather. The "chase" is just relative to the Doe activity based on the conditions.

Good article from QDMA and graphic.

https://www.qdma.com/articles/no-link-b ... ign=buffer

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”