tree saddles anyone??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jed33

tree saddles anyone??

Unread postby Jed33 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:35 am

I currently have a Lone Wolf hand climber and was looking to reduce weight, and add versatility. Found the tree saddle type systems, and the one that looks the best is the areo hunter by newtribe. The complete system is ~ $400, and the minimum accessories I would need would be a climbing stick, (using the one stick method I found on youtube, thanks DIYsportsman!) and some type of strap on step system for a base platform to hunt from.

I was curious if anyone out there has used this type of stand set up and how they like it. It looks like it would be way more comfortable than sitting in a regular stand. Also is there any DIY system that I could make using a rock climbing harness to save money?

Thanks.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: tree saddles anyone??

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:44 am

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32414&p=442815&hilit=DIY+saddle#p442815

Also check out the saddle hunter forum. Tons of info there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:45 am

I use one from time to time...both a saddle and a guidos web. Both have there place. The rock harness works but count on losing some comfort.

I recommend you check out the saddlehunter.com forum.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:50 am

There are a few threads on here about using saddles for hunting, do some searches for tree saddle. Check out that saddlehunter forum too.

I use a tree saddle a lot of the time when hunting from a tree. I have looked into how to modify a rock climbing harness to be suited for saddle hunting but haven't seen anything I thought looked comfortable enough for long sits. I use a rock climbing harness as my safety harness when in a stand. In my saddle I can hang out all day no problem.

Some guys like them and some guys hate them so test one out before just buying one if possible. I have noticed the better shape you are in, the more comfortable a person will think they are. Heavier guys tend to mention straps cutting in/sore legs etc.

One tip - I use knee pads so my knees don't get sore resting against the tree. I just started using hunting pants with build in knee pads. They work great.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:02 am

Also, keep an eye on the classifieds on AT. A lot of guys try saddle hunting, discover it's not for them, and sell shortly afterwards.

dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:42 am

I use the saddle from time to time. Definitely worth getting a good platform setup because screw in steps(where legal) can be very uncomfortable during a long sit.
drew13

Unread postby drew13 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:58 am

I used the Trophyline tree saddle for 6 years and switched to the new tribe aero hunter Evo this year. I probably hunt 80% of the time from a saddle. I really like it and think it lends itself well to beast tactics - mobile and quiet.

As was mentioned, it's not for everyone. But it works for me.

clint6760

Unread postby clint6760 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:28 am

I have used one for the past few years. I use an ambush saddle with one stick climbing method or screw in steps. I like it a lot. Not for everyone though.

ryanm

Unread postby ryanm » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:33 pm

I have an ambush and neoprene saddles that I use with a lone wolf assassin for a platform.
the ambush mesh breathes better … most of my setups are for the saddle unless the tree is small, then I go with a regular platform.
thefallguy

Unread postby thefallguy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:53 pm

I have been using the Guidos Web for years. This year I purchased the lone wolf thinking I could get in to some more difficult trees with less trimming of branches since you only sit on one side of the tree as opposed to swinging around 360 on a telephone pole type tree.
First impression from just one hunt is, you don't feel as secure in the lone wolf and you lose a lot of shooting mobility. Both types of stands are just as easily set up and taken down for run and gunning. Guido feels lighter on the back walking in.
I switched back to the Guido but need to give the lone wolf a few more chances.

Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:10 pm

I have a New Tribe Evolution, a home made sling and an older LW Assault. Truthfully, it's hard to say which one I like best. I use the NT EVO or Assault for all day sits or long morning hunts. However, I use the home made sling during the other times. One of the draw backs to the "saddles" vs. the LW Assault were carrying the climbing sticks as they always seemed awkward. However, I came up with a way to stack them on my back like you would with a LW stand and I love it now.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:58 pm

I have a large Guidos web I would be willing to sell for a fair price if you are interested. I think used ones go for $225-250… I will throw in 3 cranford ez fold strap on steps which can be used as a base.

I really like the Web but it is too hot 90% of the time down here for me to use it…
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:11 am

PK_ wrote:I have a large Guidos web I would be willing to sell for a fair price if you are interested. I think used ones go for $225-250… I will throw in 3 cranford ez fold strap on steps which can be used as a base.

I really like the Web but it is too hot 90% of the time down here for me to use it…

PM sent.
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:37 am

i have used a saddle for the past few years, this year i bought a new xop climber and hang-on...i have been use them more then the saddle but there are some trees with no cover that i hunt that i will still use the saddle in. With the hang-on, climber and saddle im set for just about anything. I really like hunting out of the saddle have done a few all day sits, its sometimes can be uncomfortable but not that bad. Its silent but takes awhile to get use to shooting out of so make sure you practice out of it a good bit.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:46 am

I have hunted and killed deer out of my tree suit for the last 15 years. I use it every once in awhile. My problem is I had to move alot o stay comfy. I think there good for 3 to 4 hour hunts. I can sit alot more still in my lone wolf assault. Try one you.might like it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”