Avg distance (non beast) hunters walk from road?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: Avg distance (non beast) hunters walk from road?

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:50 pm

That was a good one Dewey.....you got me good.. 8-)

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:00 pm

Zap wrote:That was a good one Dewey.....you got me good.. 8-)

Couldn't resist that one. :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:01 pm

I agree that you don't have to walk far to find sign, I found a buck bed overlooking a parking spot last year. I was just curious how far folks were seeing signs of other hunters. Where I hunt it's hill/bluff country, "the land of 1,000 waterfalls". From my experience the majority of it slows after 1/3 mile (unless it's extremely difficult to access) and if they walk farther than that they don't get far off an old logging road or trail.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:05 pm

I can safely say I very rarely see sign more then 500 yards from a parking lot here in Florida unless there is a service trail running through it. Many places are extremely difficult to access and such can be great. For the most part I find hunter sign within 150 yards of trails unless someone is hunting a clearcut. Pretty funny story how I met one of my hunting buddies..........so there I was sitting in my climber bow in hand on an all day hunt. This stand is 1.25 miles from the truck as a crow flies it is probably .75 miles, but I have never checked it on the gps so I can't say for certain. this is a beautiful high spot I call an Island Hammock. anyways I start hearing some serious movement behind me coming from the swamp. the whole hamock is surronded by a swamp accept a 30 yard high point that is thicker then . I access it from there. so back to the noise I stand up turn around get ready. About 20 solid minutes I can hear it coming to me and by the amount of sound I am fairly sure it is a hog, until I see and orange hat pop out of some thick briars. This guy is cover in muck. I couldn't help myself I started laughing out loud he looks up at me with my bow in hand sits down and says don't shoot. I start climbing down and hand him a water bottle. He had bush-wacked through the swamp best guess about 1/2 mile because he saw this high point on a topo, but didn't see any better way in. I got talking to him. And was really impressed with the effort he had put in so I showed him the "easy way out"! From then on we have hunted together off and on at the WMA.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”