Observation stand backfire

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jpe40

Observation stand backfire

Unread postby jpe40 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:50 pm

I have a spot on some private where there is a small food plot in a creek bottom. The flat part in the bottom is about 25 yards wide on the side I am allowed to hunt Both sides of the hill then slope upward. I have my usual tree about 10 yards off the plot where i can shoot the whole plot. Last year I had a buck come 15 yards behind me on the hill cruising in the evening and caught my thermal. So tonight i decide to set up about 100 yards from the creek to observe the plot and possible entry routes. Obviously tonight I had 4 doe come in the plot, minutes later a nice 8pt came in, checked a scrape and the chased the does a bit. He gave me a 40 yrd shot at dark but I didnt feel comfortable with the light left. My question is should i get right back in there tmrw night in my usual tree or let it rest a bit. THey usually approach from the private across the creek. Any north or west wind I should be good. On a side note I saw a red fox which is always a treat.

JPE

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Observation stand backfire

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:23 pm

Did you get the information you were looking for? I think they will continue to use the food plot if you were 100 yards away.
What went wrong?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Don't see where anything went wrong either...sounds like you learned what you were looking to learn. Definitely be back in there the next night if that is the buck you are after. Be careful with the does that they don't blow it for you if they can catch your scent stream.
Only issue I could see is if you observed the buck entering from a direction that you couldn't hunt due to him being able to catch your scent.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:29 pm

Move your stand 20 yards closer. Given the same general conditions he'll likely take the same route tomorrow. You saw how he got into the plot, now take advantage and put him on the ground tomorrow.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jpe40

Unread postby jpe40 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks for the tips. The buck went down stream which was 90 degrees from my stand. None of the does busted me, they went the opposite direction of the buck, but none went behind me. I guess i shouldnt have said it was a failure, just tough watching a decent buck 15 yds from my usual tree. As long as they come from across the stream Ill be fine. WIll only get busted if they come behind me. It was the first time I saw a buck work a scrape in the woods. South wind tmrw, Ill have to wait. Good luck everyone.

JPE

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”