A day in the life of a hunting beast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

A day in the life of a hunting beast

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:33 am

I've spent a lot of today re-reading all the best tactical threads - awesome stuff. I was wondering if a few of the consistnet beast hunters would mind sharing what a typical hunt/scouting day would look like. For instance, I usually hunt a travel corridor by bedding areas in the AM. I will scout my way out to see if I can find some new, fresh sign. Afternoon I usually drive to a new area and scout with my saddle and pack. If I find some good sign I set up and hunt. But so often by the time I realize I am in a good area I have messed it up with my scent trail. If I don't find anything, I will head to a know bedding area exit route and hunt that evening.

I believe there are so many small key ingredients that are often over-looked or not mentioned when recalling these events. SO if you could, and are willing, I know I would love to hear how some of you hunt/scout on any given day and what you do particularly while scouting so you don't mess up an area for a hunt that day. Thanks, like always, for sharing - I know a lot of sweat and work goes into learning these tactics.

IkemanTx
500 Club

Re: A day in the life of a hunting beast

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:11 am

Following.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:20 am

IkemanTx wrote:Following.

Me too

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:16 am

Maybe wrong time of year to have posted this.... Sorry.... Hindsight :)

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:36 am

Really interested to see what those often overlooked things are. I was in a spot this weekend...wondering similarly, WWDD, what would Dan do? I ad my own ideas but couldn't help but think I was missing something important.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:50 pm

One if my little things that I look at is the canopy of the trees it can tell you a lot before you even get to where your going

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:55 pm

Findian wrote:One if my little things that I look at is the canopy of the trees it can tell you a lot before you even get to where your going

What does it tell you? Certainly seeing a lot of oaks would mean food source but what else.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
youngbuck917

Unread postby youngbuck917 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:18 pm

For example, say you are walking through a thick tamarack swamp and you look up at the tree canopy and you see Cedar Branches 80 yards ahead of you. You can bet there will be a transition line in between the tamarack and cedar edge. If there is a lot of the same terrain and the tree tops change there could be a hidden transition line there.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:36 pm

youngbuck917 wrote:For example, say you are walking through a thick tamarack swamp and you look up at the tree canopy and you see Cedar Branches 80 yards ahead of you. You can bet there will be a transition line in between the tamarack and cedar edge. If there is a lot of the same terrain and the tree tops change there could be a hidden transition line there.

Thats a good point.

Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:36 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
Findian wrote:One if my little things that I look at is the canopy of the trees it can tell you a lot before you even get to where your going

What does it tell you? Certainly seeing a lot of oaks would mean food source but what else.

I grew up in the woods the first thing that my mom and dad thought me was to look up not down.
So I was taught at young age to pick out a certain distinctive tree and go to it.( for deer drives around 7-8 years old ) Well after doing for some time you begging to look at other trees of in the distance. After awhile you begin to notice what the lay of the land will bring you ( most of the time ) by the tree canopy.
So anyways it can tell you how to approach an area better.
As far as if you only see oaks then let's say you see pines of in the distance it can be a transition edge, a visual marker for you or even the deer. Or nothing at all.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:00 pm

I'm totally new to this too. But from my over 40 years of hunting and what I've learned on here. This is where cyber scouting can help a ton. If you have some educated guesses from cyber scouting. Have them marked on a map or in a GPS or blessed with a great memory. As you approach these spots and find fresh sign it's time to think about finding a tree or blind location. Especially if your close to one of these transition areas.

Also remember, Dan says don't be afraid to fail. But when you do learn from it. It's taken all of the consistantly successful guys years to perfect there craft. Be patient, it will come.

I'm 56 and still learning. That's what keeps this fun!

Okay now it's time for the pros to chime in.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:20 pm

viewtopic.php?f=191&t=28843

This is what it takes....

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:14 am

Good stuff folks!

What I am really hoping to get out of this thread is an actual look at a typical day of hunting and scouting and how decisions are made while doing so. The reason being, last year there were several times while I was out scouting after a morning hunt, I found some good fresh sign only to realized that the way I had scouted it had basically ruined it for a hunt that day. So perhaps what I am really looking for is how someone like Andrea, or other seasoned hunting beasts, does a morning hunt, then scouts and sets up on fresh sign without ruining a spot. There has to be some thinking, deciphering or honing of technique that I am missing and need to tweak so I don't mess things up from my scouting approach. Not sure I am articulating this very well - not one of my strong suits :)
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:32 am

The really good hunters when they scout they see the sign. But I believe its really the experience they have that puts them in the right tree. Their gut feeling is gonna be better than someone with less experience. Its definitely a talent also. Some guys have it some don't. Almost like trying to explain tiger woods or Jordan spieths golf talent. Other pros work just has hard has they do. They are just gifted. I think they see a golf course differently than most much like a great woodsman sees the woods differently than most.

Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:54 am

A over looked way to do this is become a master in the art of still hunting. You don't always need a stand to get it done.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”