Too much water

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckshot20
500 Club

Too much water

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:12 am

With the rain that has been coming down in the south east this year I couldn't help but wonder, how much is too much. With the hardwood bottoms chest deep and I haven't made it too the marshes, and deer sightings down from previous years I was wondering how much water is too much?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Ghost Hunter

Re: Too much water

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:15 am

Wish you could send a little this way. We have had .88 inches since the middle of July.

I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
loneranger

Unread postby loneranger » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:21 pm

Seems like it is too much or too little. I see Arkansa is really DRY! I feel your pain. Up here in SE Iowa we did great until Sept. Now have had only a 10th in the last 25 or so days. My food plots are shrivelin.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:07 pm

Use it to your advantage. Less dry land can concentrate the deer and make it easier for you.

Always be looking for your advantage in a situation and seek to capitalize on it.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:46 pm

Motivated wrote:Use it to your advantage. Less dry land can concentrate the deer and make it easier for you.

Always be looking for your advantage in a situation and seek to capitalize on it.

:dance:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:21 pm

Motivated wrote:Use it to your advantage. Less dry land can concentrate the deer and make it easier for you.

Yep that sounds like a lot of water but the deer are going to be somewhere. Traditional wetlands will probably be too deep for them, however the surrounding lowlands with small humps might be the new bedding. Might be wise to pull out a canoe or something and find some hard to reach high ground, most hunters might not be use to that and any pressure could push the deer to newly formed islands.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:05 pm

headgear wrote:

Yep that sounds like a lot of water but the deer are going to be somewhere. Traditional wetlands will probably be too deep for them, however the surrounding lowlands with small humps might be the new bedding. Might be wise to pull out a canoe or something and find some hard to reach high ground, most hunters might not be use to that and any pressure could push the deer to newly formed islands.

I'm going to try this friday on a hunch. Hopefully there will be enough dry to hold a deer. Only one way to find out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”