Blowing smoke...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

Blowing smoke...

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:43 am

I'm going to ruffle some feathers here, but stay with me. The topic of scent control and playing the wind etc has been a topic widely discussed on here and heated to say the least. But if most of us subscribe to if you play the wind it shouldn't matter..or like Dan has said he comes straight from work and sets up. Well here is the question...does smoking cigarettes in stand take your odds down if your playing the wind and thermals? If so why? If not give your take.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Re: Blowing smoke...

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:53 am

I don't smoke but here is what I think.

If the wind/thermals are in your favor the "smoke" scent doesn't matter, just like any other scent for that matter.

The action of "smoking" however typically requires movement of arms and hands. This movement is where I think you could get into trouble.

Smoking could also give away your hard scouted beast spots to other hunters who might immediately recognize the smell.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:58 am

You will no doubt hear from smokers so addicted and invested in that addiction that even if it were to harm their hunting they would not quit. The motion of moving that coffin nail and puffing on it is probably more of a net negative than the smoke itself. I don’t think the deer would be bothered by the smoke itself but the chimney puffing cloud and movement of the cougher is more than likely the give away. Some of the smokers may even tout the wind marking ability of that killer cloud of poison. :angry-soapbox:
Last edited by rancid crabtree on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:08 am

If the deer smell the smoke, they also will smell you.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:09 am

Not to mention the cough or throat clearing noise...known about from experience.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:12 am

Trailcamaddict wrote:I don't smoke but here is what I think.

If the wind/thermals are in your favor the "smoke" scent doesn't matter, just like any other scent for that matter.

The action of "smoking" however typically requires movement of arms and hands. This movement is where I think you could get into trouble.

Smoking could also give away your hard scouted beast spots to other hunters who might immediately recognize the smell.

Pretty much this, and that large puffs of smoke in the air could also give you away. Plenty of guys smoke and shoot deer but in no way is it helping you save for some crazy curious young buck might come to the smell once in the blue moon.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:18 am

I quit smoking in 2002 and never smoked on stand so can't say from my own experience but know plenty of guys that killed big bucks while smoking. If the wind is in your favor perfectly the bucks will not smell it but I definitely wouldn't recommend this if you want to maximize your encounters.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:35 am

I don't believe in smoking on stand. For those that do smoke. But I know lots of guys who do, and are very successful because they play the wind. I guess my view has always been the lingering smell of smoke could be detrimental and the effect of leaving a but on the ground alerts deer you don't see move. I know some guys leave them in the tree up high, but I have to believe that scent wick eventually is smelt by deer in the area. But for beast style hunting where guys normally don't hunt repetitiously in the same spot, and if the wind is being played as well as thermals, I think guys that think it's affecting there hunt would be contradictory to the whole scent control issue and just play the wind opinions shared by many on here. I personally don't think it affects the hunt at the time of the hunt, but it does affect the next hunt or possibly moving a buck from the bed you are hunting.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:00 am

whitetailassasin wrote:I don't believe in smoking on stand. For those that do smoke. But I know lots of guys who do, and are very successful because they play the wind. I guess my view has always been the lingering smell of smoke could be detrimental and the effect of leaving a but on the ground alerts deer you don't see move. I know some guys leave them in the tree up high, but I have to believe that scent wick eventually is smelt by deer in the area. But for beast style hunting where guys normally don't hunt repetitiously in the same spot, and if the wind is being played as well as thermals, I think guys that think it's affecting there hunt would be contradictory to the whole scent control issue and just play the wind opinions shared by many on here. I personally don't think it affects the hunt at the time of the hunt, but it does affect the next hunt or possibly moving a buck from the bed you are hunting.

The lingering scent, smoke or no smoke is going to burn up an area no matter what. I hunt with a lot of guys that use one stand regardless of wind, these are your average joe's. Just like clockwork they see some deer opening day rifle season, nothing or less deer by day two. By day 3 it is about 100% they see nothing.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:21 am

whitetailassasin wrote: I personally don't think it affects the hunt at the time of the hunt, but it does affect the next hunt or possibly moving a buck from the bed you are hunting.

My thoughts exactly. And I used to smoke on stand once in a while.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:19 am

I only smoke bucks on stand.

HarharHar.

I don't think smoking on Stand is a real big deal. If you think it is and are addicted, try sucking on a cigar. One of my fishing buddies always had a cigar in his mouth,never seen him light it up.

Idk, never touched any of it.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:18 am

I smoke but not while hunting, have in past years. If were talking about cigarettes (haha), assuming you just mean bow hunting, NO WAY would I smoke while bow hunting. Even rifle season, on my way to evening spot will be the only time I get one in. I have seen more animals since I started leaving them in the truck 5 years ago. That being said, one time I decided to light one early - 2 young Bucks came out of the woods 30 yards from me and the smoke from smoldering cig was blowing right at them. They did not bump out... stood there for awhile and left slowly.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:36 am

There are things that help you hunt and there are things that hinder your hunt. Knowing the difference is a big benefit to the hunter. If you think smoking in the stand is a benefit, you should do it. :think: I personally would never smoke in the stand. I see no benefit in helping me kill a good buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:06 am

dreaming bucks wrote:If the deer smell the smoke, they also will smell you.

Yep...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:11 am

Stanley wrote:There are things that help you hunt and there are things that hinder your hunt. Knowing the difference is a big benefit to the hunter. If you think smoking in the stand is a benefit, you should do it. :think: I personally would never smoke in the stand. I see no benefit in helping me kill a good buck.

I don't smoke, but I do see a benefit from smoking on stand... If a guy is so addicted he is going to be sitting in his stand concentrating on not smoking, shaking, and being miserable, and smoking makes him calm and able to concentrate on the job at hand, well then smoke...
I would like to see everyone smoke free, but if your going to smoke everywhere else, you might as well on stand.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”