Hunting THICK cover

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Country
500 Club

Hunting THICK cover

Unread postby Country » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:54 am

I know there are a lot of guys here that really like to hunt the nasty, thick cover. I have been trying to find some threads relating to this. Could you elaborate on how deer use this type of cover and how you select a stand location? If you have any good pictures of what you consider thick, huntable cover, I'd be interested in seeing them. Thanks a lot.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: Hunting THICK cover

Unread postby cbigbear » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:37 am

Scout the transitions - outer edges. Then it will like point you to the inner transitions where the bucks bed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:21 am

Cbigbear is right.
The last thing you want to do is wander aimlessly through the thick cover. Definitely key on anything that is different... A patch of shrubs that are different than the rest, or maybe slightly thicker/taller grass, blowdowns, etc.
Also pay close attention to the tallest trees. Often times they'll bed by a lone tree amidst lots of thick heavy cover. It's all about finding structure where there doesn't seem to be any.

Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Nice examples and tips, anyone else?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:18 pm

Alot of the areas I hunt don't have defined transitions. From the ground there may be none but from the aerial the inner transition can found by looking at historical imagery... I've found those to be the most productive. Alot of times it takes finding the types of transitions they key on and then trying to replicate it. And it's not a sure thing, takes a lot of bootwork

Make It Happen
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:24 pm

How do you all try to set up when you find one bedded in the super thick stuff? Found a good spot today in what is essentially a more mature clear cut but impossible to get near wo spooking the buck. It probably isn't 50 yards wide and 200 yards long surrounded by ag on 3 sides and highway on the 4th? Do you observe and see where he comes to the edge?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:13 pm

I love thick nasty cover. My biggest advice would be to set up high. Many times you have to get high to be able to shoot down into the brush. Also in the off season trim shooting lanes a lot. The scrubby brush can grow back a lot in the off season.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:36 am

mheichelbech wrote:How do you all try to set up when you find one bedded in the super thick stuff? Found a good spot today in what is essentially a more mature clear cut but impossible to get near wo spooking the buck. It probably isn't 50 yards wide and 200 yards long surrounded by ag on 3 sides and highway on the 4th? Do you observe and see where he comes to the edge?

Sometimes if it's too thick and too big of an area, that bed might be low odds for getting close. In that situation I write it off and look for more predictable/approachable bedding.

In your situation I would try and find his tracks on a field edge leading away from his bed(ding). Observing is an option too, especially if you aren't sure how he exits.

Trying to hunt these super thick areas can be super tough, especially if there are no decent trees around to observe from.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:46 am

If you know he's there during rut/pre rut, setting up in the area with a decoy would be a great option. Move in on him and make him think an intruder is trying to claim his territory. It can be a super effective tactic. Just make sure you set the decoy where it is in plain sight... You don't want to surprise him.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:57 am

I hunt fringes of heavy cover, it seems during the rut the deer I want to shoot will scent check the whole area downwind. This way I'm not putting scent all up in the bedding. I'd have to find a pretty solid trail and sign to get up into thick stuff. Hard to get a stand hung and any trail you clear to your stand the deer will be using within days, effectively screwing your set up up.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:17 am

Look for small openings, creeks, ditches, bottle necks. The better you know an area the better you can hunt it. You cant' just randomly go into the thick with no plan of attack. There is usually a sweet spot and finding that is key.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:55 am

Stanley wrote:Look for small openings, creeks, ditches, bottle necks. The better you know an area the better you can hunt it. You cant' just randomly go into the thick with no plan of attack. There is usually a sweet spot and finding that is key.

How have you seen deer to use these sweet spots you circled and how did you set up? Thanks.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:18 am

I hunt the same stuff as Stans pics... all you really can do is hunt the edges and the openings

The downwind side in the rut is a killer setup as Muddy states... sometimes a tree line runs into thick cover or a fence row, and that intersection is DYNOMTIE!!! :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:26 am

Stanley wrote:Look for small openings, creeks, ditches, bottle necks. The better you know an area the better you can hunt it. You cant' just randomly go into the thick with no plan of attack. There is usually a sweet spot and finding that is key.

Great tips, Stan! How often do you find you have to go to the ground in these situations? I know on your podcast you spoke of ground hunting river bends, do you do the same when all you have is a pocket in the brush? Thanks.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:33 am

CountryJoe wrote:

How have you seen deer to use these sweet spots you circled and how did you set up? Thanks.

Not every good looking spot is a sweet spot. Intel from years past, trail cameras, can be beneficial in helping to determine what spots produce. Yes, I have killed a lot of bucks in the thick. I actually love hunting the thick stuff. I set up on the edge of the small openings. Creeks are set up with deer movement along the creeks. Bottle necks you want your wind blowing where the deer are not coming from or going to.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”