Who hunts when sick with a cold, etc?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Who hunts when sick with a cold, etc?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:49 am

I am down with a bad cold...wanting to hunt but no energy and go from congested to my nose running like a river...not to mention the cough. I feel like after all the off season time I put in that I'm cheating myself not being out but don't see how I could be successful in a tree and don't really have the energy to even do any scouting.
Anyone else have this happen? Btw, any cold medicine makes me feel worse! Wouldn't even be safe to be in a tree. At least it's in early to mid October and not the end of October, early November.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Crazinamatese

Re: Who hunts when sick with a cold, etc?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:55 am

Everyone is different. A few seasons ago I got the flu and it was terrible. I went out feeling a little dehydrated and tired and it got worse after I got finished setting up. Just felt like crap and wished I stayed home instead.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:58 am

I hunted our bow opener with double pink eye and the flu. I almost didn't go. My target buck did'nt show just saw does. I've hunted with bronchitis in the past. That was rough also.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:59 am

If I was sick now, I'd probably rest, but if it's prime time I'm hunting regardless. Last November I was simultaneously battling a cold, poison sumac, and a Lyme bullseye. I didn't miss a beat.

deereload

Unread postby deereload » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:05 am

rest up - season still early - good luck
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:06 am

Our season opener began with me being hospitalized with pnuemonia. I hunted twice before knowing I had it and hunted a day after receiving my antibiotics. Had to deal with some preaching from the doctor and sickness in the stand but It wasn't enough for my addiction :lol:

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:51 am

I did make it out for an hour behind my house. Have a stand with perfect entry/exit so it is great for short sits and observing. Was rewards with seeing a nice 8 pointer walk underneath another stand I have. Thankfully he didn't hear me snorting up hockers!

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:44 pm

yep last season felt like dooky had the flu new I using the climber would be a bad Idea but I had the itch so I grabbed my orange camp chair and drove out to the closest wma that was open. found a little closed to driving trail made my way down it until i saw what I thought was a pretty heavy game trail. checked the wind all good in my face plopped my chair down 25 yards from it and was dang near asleep when I heard a crunch. A decent doe stuck her head out looked both ways then backed back into the woods a few feet. I drew back it was all I could do to hold the bow steady but she walked out and I spine shot her at 20 yards. I figured as bad as I was feeling spine shot would be either a kill or a miss!! Get out there if you got the itch enough!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:31 pm

I have been fighting stomach flu over a week. Itching to hunt but it just isnt enjoyable and I wouldnt be able to sit still with the cramping. Depends on the sickness. I usually can push myself a bit and the exercise and fresh air can help. I decided to do a scout one day this week and it was tough. I stacked a couple beds hopefully I can get out soon. I would also say as you get older hunting while sick can be a little more dangerous.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:42 pm

GRUD wrote:I have been fighting stomach flu over a week. Itching to hunt but it just isnt enjoyable and I wouldnt be able to sit still with the cramping. Depends on the sickness. I usually can push myself a bit and the exercise and fresh air can help. I decided to do a scout one day this week and it was tough. I stacked a couple beds hopefully I can get out soon. I would also say as you get older hunting while sick can be a little more dangerous.

I would definitely agree. Puking or the other means of emptying yourself would definitely keep me from the woods as well!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:15 pm

Last year I got extremely sick with a bad stomach virus on Halloween and was layed up for what are usually my best days of the rut early in the first week of November. After three days I forced myself to do a 1/2 day hunt and then the following full day hunt was by far the best day I ever had while on stand and killed a good buck after seeing 15 throughout the entire day. It was tough but what I waited all year for so staying home sick for the entire rut wasn't an option. If I would have stayed home I would have missed out on that unbelievable day.

Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:03 am

I hunt when I'm sick also if it's just a cold or of it's not to bad.. I remember one year I was pretty sick with a stomach bug or something not sure what it was...I couldn't keep food or water down...30 minutes in the stand felt like 4 hours... After aboit an hour I thought to myself WHAT AM I DOING OUT HERE..I climbed down and called it a day.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:56 am

If you have the squirts it's tough to hunt. I quit a few years ago with the squirts. I usually just tough it out.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:03 am

Stanley wrote:If you have the squirts it's tough to hunt. I quit a few years ago with the squirts. I usually just tough it out.

Never thought I would hear the word squirts on the hunting beast. Leave it to Stan, thanks Stan you got me laughing

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:47 am

Stomach bugs, diarea, flu, that sort of stuff I'm staying home. In that situation you are probably only making it worse by hunting. Other than that I go. I usually take a pocket full of cough drops to keep from coughing when I have a cold.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”