Why dont peopl

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sunset samurai

Re: Why dont peopl

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:22 pm

loneranger wrote:This bed hunting is all well and good,,if you have a lot of property. I know some that have bucks on their land year around. Take pics of the same bucks from year to year. I could only afford my 40 acres. There is a private 600 acre, pay for hunting property across the road. On my land,,only a doe or two will stay for any time. When big farm crops are harvested,,does get interested in my small food plots and apple trees and begin to hang around. During the rut,,the bucks will show up. Yea,,thats the way you hunt my land. I have trees I prepare for rubbing and mock scrapes. None are touched until the rut. Just the way it is in my area. I do not feel like less of a hunter, for not doing a lot of research and scouting There is nothing to scout. I know my land...

I do similar on our family ground, we have some foodplots we pushed out in the cutovers nxt to the big timber transitions, we dnt really scout or ever go in there much except to plant n hunt. The stands are prehung its very low impact and the deer respond really well, changing much would be a negative move imo. That being said, I figure the bed deal to be another arrow in my quiver if the situation is conducive. Knowing when to use it and when to stick to traditional methods, just as you have discovered is quite smart, again, Imo.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:14 am

loneranger wrote:This bed hunting is all well and good,,if you have a lot of property. I know some that have bucks on their land year around. Take pics of the same bucks from year to year. I could only afford my 40 acres. There is a private 600 acre, pay for hunting property across the road. On my land,,only a doe or two will stay for any time. When big farm crops are harvested,,does get interested in my small food plots and apple trees and begin to hang around. During the rut,,the bucks will show up. Yea,,thats the way you hunt my land. I have trees I prepare for rubbing and mock scrapes. None are touched until the rut. Just the way it is in my area. I do not feel like less of a hunter, for not doing a lot of research and scouting There is nothing to scout. I know my land...

I'd say you are hunting your land smart, nothing wrong with that. Bed hunting is the focus here but we have people from all over and everyone hunts different land with different ideas.

I do have one question, are you only limiting yourself to your own land or private land? Is there any public land to hunt that you don't care if you mess it up before the rut? No wrong answer, maybe you just don't want to hunt public or there isn't any around, it's just the first question that popped in my head when I ready your post.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:58 am

There are only 3 types of people in the world.

1) Those who get it.
2) Those who don't get it, yet.
3) Those who will never get it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:44 am

To many hunting and the oudoors is a big stress reliever. If scouting hard and hunting hard makes your hunting stressful than you won't enjoy it that much.

Some enjoy the added difficulties of hunting mature bucks and all the extra work it takes to accomplish success.

Neither is right or wrong. What's important is that one is outdoors enjoying thereselves instead of being a couch potatoe!

But if one really desires to consistently take mature bucks and isn't. Not looking into each and every technique available is just being lazy!
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:14 am

headgear wrote:If people are calling you crazy then you know you are on the right track. ;) :lol:

Haha my wife calls me crazy every time I go out the door with my stand and sticks "if your not using corn your never going to kill anything do you want me to show you how to hunt"....I just roll my eyes and head to the woods lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:33 pm

good point southern man - ya know - i dont thay that hunters are stupid if they dont understand bed hunting - keep in mind that some areas are not all of the same and buck beds are not that visual - i really think it depends on the number of bucks in the area along with the buck to doe ratio - some sign just doesnt show up well - doesnt mean the hunters are less capable of understanding - just my opinion -
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:37 pm

My dad has this same affliction. His favorite response is always... "Isaac, you just don't get it. If they want to lay down, they are going to bed wherever they are. I have seen them eating from a feeder and walk over 30 yards and bed" I tried to explain the difference between a food source bed, for chewing and digesting, and a true pressure is on, full day bed. He gets on to me and says "a bed is a bed, its all the same to a deer".... He has killed alot of good deer in his life, and quite a few mature public land bucks, but he is definitely a funnel/rut hunter.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
loneranger

Unread postby loneranger » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Well I used to hunt the Nat Forest Lands up in MI. I know all about scouting and planning, and having to deal with many other hunters most dummies that tramp all over and mess up everything. Where I live now there is minimal tiny pieces of public land. My property has about one favored bed area. My plots and stands are already near it. I do not venture in or disturb this area but once a year,,in the spring. Most of my small parcel I leave alone to the wildlife. Most small properties around me people are all over,,trompin, or with Orvs. That is one advantage I have. Keeping my land quiet,,even though it is small.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:29 pm

headgear wrote:

I'd say you are hunting your land smart, nothing wrong with that. Bed hunting is the focus here but we have people from all over and everyone hunts different land with different ideas.

I do have one question, are you only limiting yourself to your own land or private land? Is there any public land to hunt that you don't care if you mess it up before the rut? No wrong answer, maybe you just don't want to hunt public or there isn't any around, it's just the first question that popped in my head when I ready your post.

There is always something to be learned. Imo the worst thing you can do is believe you know it all- this statement applies too more than just hunting deer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”