super fast evening hunts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

super fast evening hunts

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:10 am

I am running on 100% borrowed time this season. My wife informed me that my mother in law will be getting surgery and my rut vacation time will now be used for baby sitting.

I have a wind that would have the deer not be able to smell me. I am going after the big boy that my son and I saw spotting a few weeks ago. I am hoping he does the same thing he did that night.

We saw him in the field out about 80 yards from the treeline about 15 mins after dark. I set up a ladder stand that was out in the woods for a few years, 2 weeks ago. I don't think it is going to mess with the buck. I am hoping the thunder storms fade out by the time I get home.

Here is my issue. I work about 45 minutes away. It is a fast and quick acess to this stand. Maybe a 3-5 min walk after I park the jeep.

I have a silent entrance due to the wet ground that will be there. The wind will be in my face and I anticipate the buck to come from his bedding, and stage in the area I will be set up in.

Do you guys think that it will be pushing it too close if I get in there in stealth mode. I am set up about 80-100 yards from the field. I just think that if the storm is supposed to be quitting at 6 he may get up out of bed around that time and hit up the staging area.

Thoughts appreciated. Right now I am in the take what you can get mode for my hunting time.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
briar
500 Club

Re: super fast evening hunts

Unread postby briar » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:48 am

If your like me and you don't go you will be wishing you did.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:50 am

I've had this dilemma many times and every time I stayed home, I've regretted it. If you can sneak in, even if it's for less than an hour, I'd say go for it. I hate sitting at home wondering what would have been.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:53 am

Looks like the rain is to stop at 6 pm so they may get up out of bed after hopefully not moving during the storm. Might give me about 45 mins to an hour to hunt. Wind will be right in my face the hole time, rain should have the leaves wet for quite entry. Only thing that will suck is that the big boy had a decent smaller buck with him. LOL who knows if that buck is still with him, but he may get a free pass if he comes by. LOL knowing my luck he will come by on the trail I want and the big boy will come in behind me and wind me. LOL
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:06 am

I kill bucks like that a lot... I went in the other day in my work uniform with just my camo safety harness and treestand with an hour to go and ran ito a guy already leaving for the day... Man did he give me a strange look. :lol:

The only thing that would worry me in your situation is that you pre-set up a stand... Ain't nothing that will shut down a spot faster than setting up a spot in advance.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:47 am

dan wrote:I kill bucks like that a lot... I went in the other day in my work uniform with just my camo safety harness and treestand with an hour to go and ran ito a guy already leaving for the day... Man did he give me a strange look. :lol:

The only thing that would worry me in your situation is that you pre-set up a stand... Ain't nothing that will shut down a spot faster than setting up a spot in advance.

Dan I have a question for you - If after a morning hunt, I scout out but find some good sign, I set my tree up right then and there - but then I go home eat, shower, etc..... then come back that same afternoon (or that next morning) and hunt till evening - that would still count as first time in correct - unless the buck came by during noon? .
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:43 am

I was a bit worried about the preset stand at first but it has been out for quite a few years. The day we set it up it poured right after. I have pics of that buck after I went in there and put up a camera. The stand is about 18 yards off of the trail and tucked into a brush pile. I am not a big ladder stand guy, but just wanted something I can jump to fast.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:46 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
dan wrote:I kill bucks like that a lot... I went in the other day in my work uniform with just my camo safety harness and treestand with an hour to go and ran ito a guy already leaving for the day... Man did he give me a strange look. :lol:

Dan I have a question for you - If after a morning hunt, I scout out but find some good sign, I set my tree up right then and there - but then I go home eat, shower, etc..... then come back that same afternoon (or that next morning) and hunt till evening - that would still count as first time in correct - unless the buck came by during noon? .

I wouldn't consider the next morning a fresh sit, but that evening, yes.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:49 am

bowmike wrote:I was a bit worried about the preset stand at first but it has been out for quite a few years. The day we set it up it poured right after. I have pics of that buck after I went in there and put up a camera. The stand is about 18 yards off of the trail and tucked into a brush pile. I am not a big ladder stand guy, but just wanted something I can jump to fast.

I would sit it with the intel you have... My point is, even in the evening rush, going into areas that have not seen human scent in weeks or months will generate older deer deer, and more deer sightings than places where they have smelled human intrusion... Even I occasionally break the rules, but just trying to stay in that mindset will help you in the long run IMHO
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:07 am

It only took me 30 minutes to set my lone wolf and put a doe a on the ground last Sunday. Any chance to be in the woods is a chance to kill. I try to go out at least twice a week after work. So much less pressure than during the weekends. Thursday and Friday nights produce a lot of deer sightings for me, IMO because the deer usually haven't been pressured much for 4-5 days.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:19 pm

Dans advice here is solid. I need to read it every year about a month before the opener. I'm getting better but I always get real anxious to get in there and move stands before getting to hunt them. It most often will ruin or change things, and then I'd sit back trying to convince myself it didn't hurt anything.

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:33 pm

Sorry, to answer the question, I do quick hunts frequently. Especially gun season. Good access is very important.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”