Anyone loud as can be and still got the kill

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

Anyone loud as can be and still got the kill

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:01 am

Snuck in to a bed tonight and pushed the envelope. Barely any wind besides near by combine. I was loud setting up. Nothing busted but no one may be home anyway. Has anyone been this loud and still have the animal come out to play. I feel like a totally butchered this setup

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

SRWbowhunter

Re: Anyone loud as can be and still got the kill

Unread postby SRWbowhunter » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:13 am

I felt the same way Sunday night.. Didn't see any

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:27 am

I'm not doing the bed bumping (purposely) yet, but but I have had plenty of deer come in while I was climbing with my API. Just seems no way to truely be really quiet with a Climber.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:50 pm

I felt like I made too much noise tonight...had a cherry tree that had a crook and wicked lean to it...when I first stepped in the stand I thought for sure I was gunna test my new harness..it too me a bit to get the stand situated and cherry trees have rough/loose/noisy bark if you aren't familiar with them...

It wasn't clanking and banging and busting limbs loud...but it was a very calm evening..

Still had a buck come in...

He had to be within 150yds because that's all the bigger the wood lot is...

I never attempted that spot with my summit just because I knew it made too much noise...wish I could have seen what size buck...h hunt out between 20-30yds and it was just dark enough in the creek bottom I couldn't tell...I seen antlers..I knew it was a buck before I seen antlers...I watched him rub a few trees...just couldn't tell on rack size...

Gotta remember...lots of stuff makes noise in the woods...limbs fall..acorns fall...win blows...squirrels..deer..turkey etc etc...

What gets hunters with noise IMO is excessive noise...un-natural noise(clanging and banging metal etc). Or noise accompanied by movement.l that just isn't right...(he hears a weird noise or 2 and looks in that direction and spots that gigantic squirrel in a tree writing a post on thehuntingbeast lol).

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:24 pm

mauser06 wrote:Gotta remember...lots of stuff makes noise in the woods...limbs fall..acorns fall...win blows...squirrels..deer..turkey etc etc...

What gets hunters with noise IMO is excessive noise...un-natural noise(clanging and banging metal etc). Or noise accompanied by movement.l that just isn't right...(he hears a weird noise or 2 and looks in that direction and spots that gigantic squirrel in a tree writing a post on thehuntingbeast lol).

Yep!

monkatopaints

Unread postby monkatopaints » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:56 pm

From my experience a loud entry has never gotten me any success. I'm a big guy and setting up tree stands is not something I do elegantly. Nothing turns deer heads like a stick breaking so most of the time I opt for a hunting chair or set up a tree stand at five feet. Being low on the ground has lots of disadvantages but at least I'm still in the game.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:21 pm

I just want to kind of add to mauser's post. I think alot of people walk wayyyy to fast and too much like a "human" to there stand or intended kill tree. Just think of times when you were in your stand and you hear something walking towards you and within a couple seconds, you can tell its another hunter. Why is that? I think its the steady walking pace with no breaks or stopping that gives alot of hunters away.

Think about the way a big buck moves most of the time (except during the rut if following a doe). He or most other deer for that matter dont go walking through the woods at a consistant steady pace... he takes a couple steps and then will look around, smell, and listen.

If hunters would take small breaks or take a couple steps, look, and listen as they got within a couple hundred yards of intended bedding i think they might see more target bucks. Like dan says, every step needs to be precisely made when youre getting close to bedding.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:11 am

I thought I made a little to much noise last night cause I had a dead bush wrapped around my tree. I had to break a few sticks to get in. Once I got in the tree there was noise all around with squirrels cutting nuts, birds, wind ect... At about 630 I had 2 does stand up right in front of me. Funny thing was there was a stump sticking out of the cattails I was hitting with my range finder.. just as I clicked tge button the doe stood up right next to the stump..43 yrds. I was amazed they were that close n didnt bust out when I set up.

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:17 am

I make sure I go nice and slow with each step but what gave me all the noise was carrying the alpha up and securing it. Is there a way to carry stand in back without the straps dangling down?

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:31 am

hunter10 wrote:I make sure I go nice and slow with each step but what gave me all the noise was carrying the alpha up and securing it. Is there a way to carry stand in back without the straps dangling down?

I'm not 100% what you are asking, but I always attach my first stick, with a stick on each hip and the stand on my back, I have my bow rope tied to my safety harness. I then climb my first stick and attach linemans rope and the 2nd stick. Only one trip up the tree and I don't have problems with noise. Monday evening a used my climbing sticks to get into a preset lock on. We had high winds for a few days and there was a tall skinny maple tree top wedged on the platform of the stand. On monday evening it was dead calm, I tried my best to unlodge it quietly but it turned into a catapult, making all kinds of racket. At last light I had a 100-110" 10 point at 32 yards. It was dead quiet so he must have been bedded really close or I would have heard him walking in the standing corn. Like others have stated it all depend on what type of noise you are making. When I used to hunt with a climber that was pretty noisy, during the rut I had a handful of bucks run in on me when I was climbing, like the noise of the stand was almost making a rattling noise.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:57 am

I have had LOTS of does come in and a few I bumped going in. Sometimes deer are curious, but not a mature buck in my experiences.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:41 am

I'm taking while going up the tree attaching sticks as I go with stand on my back. I've had issues with the stand strap buckles clanking on my sticks that are attached to my hip. To beat this I attached the strap loops to my stand as if you were packin it up but now have issues with the buckles ticking the stand.. They are camo wrapped too

deereload

Unread postby deereload » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:30 am

even elmer fudd had it right when chasing poor ole bugs bunny- elmer would always say - be very very quiet !!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:13 am

deereload wrote:even elmer fudd had it right when chasing poor ole bugs bunny- elmer would always say - be very very quiet !!!

:lol:

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:18 am

hunter10 wrote:I'm taking while going up the tree attaching sticks as I go with stand on my back. I've had issues with the stand strap buckles clanking on my sticks that are attached to my hip. To beat this I attached the strap loops to my stand as if you were packin it up but now have issues with the buckles ticking the stand.. They are camo wrapped too

That sounds loud, I would find a new routine, I take it one stick at a time and go as quiet as possible, leave nothing to chance. I loosen buckles on the ground and put the straps in my mouth to prevent any hanging/swinging buckles from hitting anything.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”