Acorns everywhere.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bionic

Acorns everywhere.

Unread postby Bionic » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:15 pm

I have a question.

The land I hunt is literally singing with acorns falling, there are no patches of oaks, there are oaks about wverywhere over acres, and acres. This piece of land, is about 150 acres, and has no crop fields. Being acorns are practically everywhere, would the bucks even leave there bedding? I am thinking I need to hunt a specific area where I found a good size rub last winter, at the time I didn't realize that it is most likely a bed due to the matted section in front of the rub. All I have been learning from you guys is all making past scouts/observations all make sense. This buck bed/rub is on the side of a hill with very dense pine forest behind it, along with tangled blow downs, and some brush also behind. The view from the bed is overlooking a stream(40-50 yards away), and a thinner area of woods that eventually climbs in elevation.

Do you think if that suspected buck bed is in use that he even leaves the bedding site? The acorns here this year are literally everywhere, I have never seen a year with such abundance.

I am just have a tough time learning about about how to successfully mature buck hunt in a section of woods roughly 150 acres with zero farm fields/crops, and a stream. Neighboring tracts of land do not have farm fields/crops either.

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Acorns everywhere.

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:10 pm

He definitely moves around. That sounds like your best bet if you want to try to get him early. Otherwise wait until the late prerut when he'll be a little more anxious to move around a bit.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:25 pm

Hunting timber with oaks everywhere is a tough job during the early season. I have hunted it for years myself and when the acorns are falling like they are this year the mature bucks don't tend to move far at all in daylight. I've had my most success on just pushing in as close to that buck as I could get. having some wind help cover up noise helps in this situation but all in all early season it makes for a tough hunt. If that doesn't work then like bassboy said wait for the pre rut cause he will be up and on the move then.

Bionic

Unread postby Bionic » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:22 am

Ok, thanks for the input.

This Saturday it looks like we will get a few showers, maybe thrn I will try to sneak back in, hopefully any breeze will be pushing toward me. I am still new here, and always used a climber, I have hunted the same spot for 3 previous years, I bought an 18' ladder stand a month ago, so I'm thinking leave that ladder stand alone until rut. I harvested a nice 8 pointer from that spot last opening day of rifle. This is my first year bowhunting, so maybe switching hunting spots up, and by going in the woods to hunt a month earlier than nornal, maybe that will be an unexpected change of pace, and give me an advantage.

Bionic

Unread postby Bionic » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:28 am

Also, I'm not even 100% its a buck bed, but regardless its what I believe is the most dense area where I hunt, and that "bed"/rub is halfway on that hill from top, to bottom, with the dense cover im assuming to his back. I rarely see rubs in this area, and I do see trails throughout the property, along with deer skat. I think twice now about deer trails after watching "Hill Country ", seeing as how they state bucks walk there own paths somewhat to the side of beaten paths. At this point I think the tactic I mentioned above is my only idea.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”