Found some acorns to hunt over

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

grangger

Found some acorns to hunt over

Unread postby grangger » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:57 am

I found a small stand of Red Oaks dropping acorns today!! Ten trees or so. Looks like a lot of deer are feeding on them. I can see that the Greenbrier underneath the oaks has no leaves on it, unlike the rest of it growing all around. This is a really bad year for the white and red oaks in my area. So, would you hunt right over the acorns or follow a trail coming into the oaks back to a bedding area and hunt there? This is in the big woods about 800 yards from any road. I doubt many other people are hunting this far in. Also, i walked a circle around the trees looking for trails coming into the place. I hung a trailcam just off one trail. That was probably a bad idea. How soon can i go back in there and hunt? It's no going to rain for a week here. thanks

PK_
500 Club

Re: Found some acorns to hunt over

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:08 am

I would have hunted it right away!

I think you should get back in there asap. You can hunt just downwind of the oaks or follow a trail a little ways with the wind in your favor… Hard to say without a map.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
grangger

Unread postby grangger » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:04 pm

No Sunday hunting allowed here. Trying to get a pic of the map up. I may be able to hunt there a couple hrs this week. It would have to be an afternoon hunt,say from 4:00 in the afternoon until dark. I can hunt all day Saturday. :D
grangger

Unread postby grangger » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:59 am

Hunted the oaks yesterday and did not see a deer. I found this spot a week ago and walked the perimeter of the oaks looking for the best trail to hang a trailcam. Looking back,that was a big mistake because i disturbed the area and left a lot of my scent everywhere.
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:20 am

Yep - never second guess a good food source - in my opinion not a good time to scout , hang a cam and walk the area leaving your scent - good luck

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”