Hill Country Access Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dingus

Hill Country Access Question

Unread postby Dingus » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:53 pm

Say u have a large hill/ridge running west to east with a N wind and u r goin in blind (first time hunting spot) but u know deer r traveling down the hill to get to the ag fields at the bottom of the hill on the south side. How wud u access the hill? Wud u climb straight to the top and creep along until u found good sign or wud u slink along the side of the hill near the bottom?
I know for an evening hunt the thermals wud b rising up the hill but if u were on the ridge top u may b also blowing deer from beds. What wud b the best approach for morning hunt and evening hunt if u had a North wind? Thanku in advance for yer advice and time!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dingus

Re: Hill Country Access Question

Unread postby Dingus » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:02 am

Any takers??

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:14 am

There are a lot of variables there. It is tough to get under dropping deer in hill country for the evening. They generally bed in the spots with the best view downhill and where the thermals are pulling to them. I hunt a similar setup out of state during the rut, have had good success dropping straight off the top and hunting somewhere near the top 3rd, midday is very good. I am hunting for the cruisers, not bed-feed or feed-bed movement.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dingus

Unread postby Dingus » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:23 am

PK_ wrote:There are a lot of variables there. It is tough to get under dropping deer in hill country for the evening. They generally bed in the spots with the best view downhill and where the thermals are pulling to them. I hunt a similar setup out of state during the rut, have had good success dropping straight off the top and hunting somewhere near the top 3rd, midday is very good. I am hunting for the cruisers, not bed-feed or feed-bed movement.

Thank you PK!

sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:27 am

As Pk said dropping down will always be your best option. Always on leeward side. If you know where beds are u can drop on tge offwind side n he wnt smell u and will normally be looking dwnhill, plus in my experience I can drop way quieter than I can climb. If the winds are iffy u can come over the ridge a cpl hundred yards to side of deer drop to the right elevation n creep parallel to him. Hope that made sense, looked stupider after I typed than what it was in my head lol.
I would do same for morning and evening, the closer you are to bed the better chance for daylight activity at either time.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dingus

Unread postby Dingus » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:33 am

sunset samurai wrote:As Pk said dropping down will always be your best option. Always on leeward side. If you know where beds are u can drop on tge offwind side n he wnt smell u and will normally be looking dwnhill, plus in my experience I can drop way quieter than I can climb. If the winds are iffy u can come over the ridge a cpl hundred yards to side of deer drop to the right elevation n creep parallel to him. Hope that made sense, looked stupider after I typed than what it was in my head lol.
I would do same for morning and evening, the closer you are to bed the better chance for daylight activity at either time.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I get what yer saying. Thank you!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”