Hunting in the rain??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jjm335

Hunting in the rain??

Unread postby jjm335 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:01 am

Guys,

First day tomorrow in PA and they are calling for heavy rain. Question for you, do you hunt with a bow in rain or stay away from it? My concern is all about tracking. Thoughts?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Zona
500 Club

Re: Hunting in the rain??

Unread postby Zona » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:43 am

If it's a monsoon I will be watching football and hoping it slows down for the evening.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
blueKYstream

Unread postby blueKYstream » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:40 pm

I thought this study was interesting. It found that rain doesn't have much effect on does, but it reduces the movement of bucks.

If you want more details, it's a quick read at:
http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/proj ... ain-take-2
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:50 pm

If it's the rut, I'm hunting provided it's not an all day washout. Some of the biggest bucks I've ever had the chance to see have been on November rainy days.

In your case, I'd hunt if it's not too heavy. Rainy fronts always seem to get big deer on their feet earlier.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Right after a soaking rain brought me luck one year. I was set up on a fresh scrape line, light rain all morning then moved out by noon, the sun started to come out and a buck came in to refresh his scrapes. Another good year was that huge swirling storm system that pounded the upper midwest around the last week of October in 2010. 60 mph winds, rain and hail. Pretty wild storm for a day or so. The storm system broke a record for having the lowest mercury reading for low pressure in the great lakes region. The interesting part of that storm too is the the bucks were still hammering the scrapes even during the storm. It was a hard day to hunt with the strong winds though. I didn't last too long in the woods that day.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
blueKYstream

Unread postby blueKYstream » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:05 pm

That same study with collars found that deer move more during the day as the wind picks up and less at night when the wind picks up which I thought was interesting. I've seen bucks after a rain or during a light rain, but hardly ever during a steady or heavy down pour. I probably don't have the experience hunting rain as much as others might though.

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/proj ... r-movement
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Heavy rain save your energy for the next hunt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
loneranger

Unread postby loneranger » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:22 am

Said it on another post,,Dont bad mouth the rain. Out here west, have had only 10th last 3 wks goin on 4 next week. Food plots I worked getting in- dried up!
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:56 pm

Gotta time it . Watch your weather reports. Be in your stand before that rain slows or stops . I have seen too much big buck activity right after a rain for it to be coincidence . ;)

Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:39 am

I totally agree with being positioned in your stand waiting out the rain as a front passes through as being very smart. Putting an arrow through a deer in a steady rain that is forcasted to continue for the near future is not smart.

He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”