what do you wear to stay warm?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

onebuck

what do you wear to stay warm?

Unread postby onebuck » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:31 am

Any recomendations for base layers, under armour etc? Hunted last week with my buddies - one just wore under armour with polar fleece long underwear over it followed by a scentlock suit. That was enough for him, meanwhile I was piling layer on top of layer of my hodgepodge collection of warm clothing and still getting cold.

So I'm thinking there may be a purchase if I can justify it with the boss.

What's your method?

muddy

Re: what do you wear to stay warm?

Unread postby muddy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:38 am

Under Armour Cold Gear is awesome. I wear 1 or 2 layers of it then put my GrayWolfWoolens on an I'm usually good to go. Once it gets into teens an lower I have to put a layer of polar fleece on and I'm good. My key to heat is a quality stocking hat an some sort of thin neck/head pull over made of under armour.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:03 am

under armour works great..then i usually put polartec over top of that..if you want some great warm clothes..the best jacket and pants i purchased this year for only $90 a piece is the predator camo fleece jacket and pants..hands down the best fleece camo clothing iv ever bought..i would reccommend the jacket and pants to everyone.
Cash 18

Unread postby Cash 18 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:11 am

I am always cold, and I am not a huge fan of under armor. i think it costs a lot and doesn't work all that well. I have been wearing it since I've had the clothes since high school but wouldn't buy them again. Right now I wear Under armor long sleeve cold gear shirt and tight pants then pajama pants, jeans and camo bibs over that. On top I wear under armor shirt, long sleeve shirt, two sweat shirts and a camo winter coat. then i wear a stocking hat and a fleece balaclava. I still get cold! If someone has any good ideas i would like to know too.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:46 am

Heater Body Suit. I love mine. It's bulky but worth the effort. It also conceals your movement when you're in the tree. It takes a little getting use to- but you don't get cold and you don't have to wear layers upon layers clothes. I know some people don't like them but it's one of the best pieces of equipment I use.
AR Hunter

Unread postby AR Hunter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:52 am

A good pair of insulated boots keep me on stand more than anything. If my feet get cold my staying power wilts.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:41 am

matt1336 wrote:Heater Body Suit. I love mine. It's bulky but worth the effort. It also conceals your movement when you're in the tree. It takes a little getting use to- but you don't get cold and you don't have to wear layers upon layers clothes. I know some people don't like them but it's one of the best pieces of equipment I use.

Absolutely! Greatest thing ever made lol. You could crawl in there naked on a 20 degree day and stay warm.

It is a pain in the to move around though. Im looking into a good set of bibs and a jacket. I just dont want to spend the money on it all and it still not keep me warm.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:59 am

Im trying my HBS out for the first time in the morning. It will be in the 20's here, so should be a good test for a long sit in the morning. I do like a merino wool shirt by First Lite and will order the bottoms soon. Great base layer for cold but also good worn alone in warm weather.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:02 pm

another great product that i love to wear to stay warm is filson wool...its pretty expensive gear but wool is great and even if it gets wet..you still stay warm..i have the bibs and jacket for late season hunting..wouldnt go in the snow without them
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:07 pm

I used to wear Under Armour and just didn't like it. It is great for wicking moisture, but even with what little thermal properties it has I just felt it was uncomfortable.
I now wear First Lite Merino Wool baselayers and I am telling you nothing I have ever used, polartech, Underarmour, Patagonia Capline, even compares. I have some light 200 weight fleece that I could wear if need be, but I usually don't need to. Like Muddy I also recommend the Gray Wolf Woolens, I have insulated, Uninsulated, and Wind Barrier, and that covers everything I need in any weather for my body. I wear Merino wool socks Lorpen, Smart Wool whatever but make sure it is at least 78% Merino Wool. Then my beloved Mucks.
I can't wear gloves so I usually take a couple of hand warmers and a muff...Quality Beanie and Neck Gaiter.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Place two large adhesive chemical warmers over your kidneys, works like a charm.
onebuck

Unread postby onebuck » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:38 am

When it gets really cold I will take a regular five dollar fleece blanket and quadruple it lengthwise and wrap it around my waist and kidney area then put bibs on top of that. It works really good, that area always seems to get cold on me.

For those of you who like under armour: do you see any difference between the original and the imitators i.e. cheaper brands?
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:17 am

thermasilk long underwear polypropelene socks under smart wool ...not cotton at all...merino wool long underwear sometimes fleece mid layer...gray wolf insulated bibs or russel apxg2 stuff....radar style hat..glomitt style gloves...muck boots with those artic shield boot blankets...
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:21 am

under armour cold gear base layers if i am packing in far for the moisture wicking capabilities(not very warm tho)Over that i wear justin charles wool underwear..the top has a turtle neck zip which pays dividends. usually over that i have a few more layers of micro fleece and then some heavier fleece layers...for gloves i have a thin under armour glove that i wear but then put inside a heavier insulated glove or muff..the sheen texture of the under armour gloves slide in the muff easily. quality insulated beany/balaclava for my head, and a wool liner and heavy moisture wicking socks for the feet...the moisture wicking socks work well with gore-tex or some other breathable membrane in your boot to keep your feet dry. i have 1200 gram danner pronghorns...i good friend of mine has some arctic shield clothing which he swears by for being super warm but not too bulky
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:45 am

Merino wool base layers (Justin Charles) by far the best that $$$ can buy. I have tried all the rest including under armour (which retains scent have multiple uses, most synthetics will). Midweight fleece layers over that if needed for cold weather. Then I wear cabelas outfitter wool, have grey wolf woolens as well, (If I had the $$$ King of the Mountain is nice stuff as well). I prefer Muck Boots when hunting temps above 20 degrees and think they are Super Comfortable. Under armour gloves and fleece beenie and something to cover mouth (gator or blancava) = breathing cold air will make you cold in a hurry! I pack most everything in with a Eberlestock X2 pack - IMO also the best pack $$$ can buy.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”