what do you wear to stay warm?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: what do you wear to stay warm?

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:04 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Place two large adhesive chemical warmers over your kidneys, works like a charm.

I do the same!! It really makes a difference. Sometimes when it is really cold I will put one in my hat as well.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Start with Under Armor and layer with fleece. Second bow season I carry in a jacket, Autumnwood wool archers jacket. Big dollars but this thing works.

http://autumnwoodoutfitters.com/catalog5.html

Hand warmers in both mittens, and boots. NO cotton any where, boots at least 1 size larger for the heavier wool socks. You don't want any constriction to limit blood flow which will drain warmth from your body.

Lower, I do the same with layers but don't have the wool bibs, just stick with the fleece bibs I have.

Good hat and fleece neck gator that can double as a face mask if needed. These are small items but are key elements to have.

Biggest key is to strip down to min cloths and walk slow to the stand. Take your time to minimize or ideally eliminate any sweat. Slowly put all your clothing on once in the stand.

I have sat in negative teen weather with OUT the wind chill. Don't even want to know what it is with the wind chill factor.

I'll admidt it's not all toasty warm, but is do-able. 10 degrees above zero and little wind is like a heat wave wearing this set-up.
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Polar Fleece. I think I got the expedition weight top from polartec at cabelas and I will swear by it. I used to use a down vest on occasion and this top eliminates the need for the down vest and I now use less layers underneath. Its also very lightweight for the warmth it provides. Sock liners underneath wool socks. Definitely wouldn't go with anything cotton base layer. You sweat in cotton you're screwed. Some kind of fleece or something warm around the neck and part of the face, I like the fleece cause its also comfortable. Any warm hat that covers the ears well. I don't feel very comfortable in skin tight stuff so I never really tried out the under armor stuff. I think a lot of it is dependent on what works for you. If I was always getting cold I would try that HBS, I know a lot of people who swear by it, and as you can see a lot of people on here seem to like it a lot too.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:50 am

For those of you that wear the First Lite wool..for the base layer top, do you wear the llano or the chama?
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:31 am

I layer up! I also tape a hand warmer ( the lager size ones) to my lower back and belly on my base layer, keeps me toasty.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:51 am

The Big items for me are... Good Hat,Neck Gator, two hand warmers I put in my pockets,and 4 Toe warmers.The Neck Gator has really helped me stay warm.It doesn't allow the cold to get inside my jacket and you can also cover half of your face.As for the toe warmers...I stick one warmer on the bottom and the other on the top of my foot and then I will put an extra sock over the top so the top warmer stays by the toes. My feet would always get cold and this has helped me stay in the stand longer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”