Michigan guys !!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Michigan guys !!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:57 am

G3s wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Nice buck G3S! Looks like those APRs are working up there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

They definitely are making a major impact from what I've seen, there is little doubt. The bucks are getting bigger and older there every year.

In a different area I occassionally hunt the antler restrictions are also making an impact, the buck sign and population has made a significant jump.

Scott we are seeing a sizable jump in the buck population, the largest increase seems to be in the 2yr old group (visibly atleast) One of the byproducts I am noticing activity increase and early rutting signs as the increased number of bucks is causing them to start earning a spot in the pecking order quicker than they used to. The competition is heating up. it makes the hunting a lot of fun to have a chance to see these things that were so rarely visible in the past here.

Definitely, the same thing is happening on the other side of the state where the APR's are in effect. Hopefully there are more bucks making it through to an older age class.

BunB231
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brooks.bunbury

Unread postby BunB231 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:40 pm

MI member checking in for the 2016 season. Been on the Beast for a couple years but my first time posting. Going to be mixing it up between some decent managed private in Newaygo County, and a whole lot of public closer to home in NW LP. I've learned a ton on the Beast the last couple seasons, Dan's DVD's, and field testing with trial & error. Had some success and some failures. This year it finally clicked, I have more spots than I can hunt, so time to start hunting the best possible setup every time out. Going all mobile this year with the LW stand and sticks besides 10 pre-hung stands that will get hunted once or twice during the cruising pre-rut for bucks I have history with on the private and know their late October "loops". My best shots at mature deer in MI have either been mid day cruising for a couple days after the first cold front after October 20th (Seems to be a 2 day window every year for catching a big boy between 10am-2pm), or while going in deep in the swamp/hills/marsh between November 1st and the 17th when hunting pressure has really picked up. Looking forward to using my mobile setup on pre-identified beds this year, and hopefully getting some better action earlier in the season. I have 7 shooters identified 3.5 years and older from cameras, glassing, and shinning this summer. Some I have history with, a few are new. 4 on the private and 3 on the public. Goal is to take down 2. I have no problem grinding long hours and 5 sits a week all season, but hoping to hunt a little smarter than harder this year. Now just glassing, shinning, and waiting.. looking forward to learning and contributing with everyone! Good luck this year fellow MI Beasts!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:16 pm

BunB231 wrote:MI member checking in for the 2016 season. Been on the Beast for a couple years but my first time posting. Going to be mixing it up between some decent managed private in Newaygo County, and a whole lot of public closer to home in NW LP. I've learned a ton on the Beast the last couple seasons, Dan's DVD's, and field testing with trial & error. Had some success and some failures. This year it finally clicked, I have more spots than I can hunt, so time to start hunting the best possible setup every time out. Going all mobile this year with the LW stand and sticks besides 10 pre-hung stands that will get hunted once or twice during the cruising pre-rut for bucks I have history with on the private and know their late October "loops". My best shots at mature deer in MI have either been mid day cruising for a couple days after the first cold front after October 20th (Seems to be a 2 day window every year for catching a big boy between 10am-2pm), or while going in deep in the swamp/hills/marsh between November 1st and the 17th when hunting pressure has really picked up. Looking forward to using my mobile setup on pre-identified beds this year, and hopefully getting some better action earlier in the season. I have 7 shooters identified 3.5 years and older from cameras, glassing, and shinning this summer. Some I have history with, a few are new. 4 on the private and 3 on the public. Goal is to take down 2. I have no problem grinding long hours and 5 sits a week all season, but hoping to hunt a little smarter than harder this year. Now just glassing, shinning, and waiting.. looking forward to learning and contributing with everyone! Good luck this year fellow MI Beasts!

Welcome!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”