Possibly the best 90 minutes I'll spend all season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Possibly the best 90 minutes I'll spend all season

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Just stopped at one of my key landowners tonight as I make my last minute rounds before the season starts this Saturday. The farmer is probably in his mid-80s and I've developed a relationship with him over the past 4 years hunting his farm. I don't even have to ask for permission to hunt now, since he knows that I will stop in before season and right before Christmas to tell him how my season went. I know when I stop that I will hear some of the same stories over and that it will cost me at least an hour of my time but that's a small price to pay for some quality hunting ground!

This particular farm was where I shot my biggest buck so far (last season). I couldn't help but notice the fresh "Posted" signs laying on his kitchen table that I'm sure will be put up before this weekend but by spending this relatively short time with him, the signs won't apply to me. I know a lot of guys that complain about not having private property to hunt but then they won't put in the work to get permission on private property. I stopped at another property earlier this summer that's been posted for as long as I can remember and the owner told me "in 20 years since I've had my property posted, you're only the 2nd person to ask me for permission to hunt and the answer is yes."

The old farmer this evening also told me about 3 different big bucks he's seen on different parts of his farm as well as a black phase coyote!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jackson Marsh

Re: Possibly the best 90 minutes I'll spend all season

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Time we'll spent xp!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:06 pm

Always nice feeling to keep things going year after year. I have the same relationship with a old boy too

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:20 pm

I have a few of these. I enjoy all of the visits, some I visit a few times a year. Some I help with things. Some I just chat with. Can't buy that, which is good, because I probably wouldn't be able to afford it!!!
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:31 pm

Awesome! I too have a few landowners that I've developed good enough relationships with over the years that I don't really need to ask year to year anymore; they just expect I'll be out there and have no problem with me hunting there. That said, I try to stop in and talk to them every now and then just to keep that relationship current. Like you said, I too often hear some of the same stories time and time again from some of the elder landowners but it makes there day to stop by and just chat now and then.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:32 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:03 pm

Your situation reminds me of my own. I've got one landowner who is in his 70's who I've been fishing with. He even came to my wedding, and bought a trail camera this year going 100% off what I suggested (Covert MP8 Black Flash) and he handed it to me and asked me to run it for him. Not only did I not have to buy a camera, he's paying for batteries and the whole 9 yards. I call him, we go swap camera cards together and look at the pics on his computer while his wife normally sits on the couch and knits ;) and he loves every minute. Because of this I freely share pics of his grove on the beast because I know he won't let anyone else in. He and his brother in law do gun hunt the grove, too.

The other property I gained access to was shocking to me. I knocked on 18 doors that year, and this was the last I expected to receive permission for. I asked in June or July and he told me to come back shortly before the season started. He had to think about it. "I gave too many people permission in the past..." my permission didn't include gun rights, and I'd be sharing with another bowhunter. He let me in and I killed the biggest whitetail of my life there in 2012.

Get out there, knock on doors, and be happy about it. Understand you're going to get a "NO" 99% of the time.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:13 pm

Another important thing I would like to add, is to be talkative. ESPECIALLY if they want to talk, just listen and ask questions. Even after they tell you no, don't let the conversation end there. I will often say something like "I figured someone was hunting here but you never know until you ask!" Then keep the conversation going... "So do you guys ever see any big ones around here?" You'd be amazed at the info you can find out.

I got denied on a request to access some public a couple weeks ago. The guy denied me permission not wanting me to interfere with hunters on his own land. He was apologetic and said "I wish you luck... I've never seen anyone back that far... I hope you get the thirty pointer!"... nobody has been back that far... good to know 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”