Favorite terrain feature?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jphunter
500 Club

Re: Favorite terrain feature?

Unread postby Jphunter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:50 pm

Thick under brush in large canopied type woods. Small secluded thick patches in open terain and the top side of deep cuts.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:42 pm

A piece of dry land that's thick and narrow between two impassable pothole swamps that connects bedding on both sides during the rut. I have found a few spots like this and they always produced. Great for late morning early afternoon when they are cruising.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:00 pm

SEMObowhunter wrote:Just wondering what everyone's favorite terrain feature is? I'm a public land hill Hunter from southeast Missouri and seem to have my best luck hunting saddles in ridgelines. I like them better if there is thick bedding cover in close proximity, like a clearcut for instance. My next favorite is the middle point which falls right into the head of a long holler. Bucks seem to gravitate to these and cross the ridge on either side of this point. Which is normally a saddle. So the two go hand in hand sort of. I don't have much experience with river bottom, ag, or swamp/marsh hunting. I have done some hunting in northwest mo in Atchison county, about a quarter mile south of the Iowa line. Really like the rolling hills and it's amazing how deer can hide in such open country.

I'd love to see some examples of these on topo maps!!
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:11 pm

Putt4Doe wrote:
SEMObowhunter wrote:Just wondering what everyone's favorite terrain feature is? I'm a public land hill Hunter from southeast Missouri and seem to have my best luck hunting saddles in ridgelines. I like them better if there is thick bedding cover in close proximity, like a clearcut for instance. My next favorite is the middle point which falls right into the head of a long holler. Bucks seem to gravitate to these and cross the ridge on either side of this point. Which is normally a saddle. So the two go hand in hand sort of. I don't have much experience with river bottom, ag, or swamp/marsh hunting. I have done some hunting in northwest mo in Atchison county, about a quarter mile south of the Iowa line. Really like the rolling hills and it's amazing how deer can hide in such open country.

I'd love to see some examples of these on topo maps!!

If I was real savvy with photobucket and how to post maps on here I'd show you some. But I can't get that figured out yet. Lol. But I'll do my best to explain them to you. I like a long holler, I'm talking one that runs at least a quarter of a mile. Bucks tend to cruise one side of these or the other following does back to bed early in the morning during the pre rut. I then look for the point that drops right into the head of one of these. As the buck comes to the head of the holler he will pull one side or the other of this point heading for the main ridge. He usually doesn't go up the center of the point but typically on one side or the other so to keep a low profile. My hunting parnter and I have experienced some very good luck on these types of setups and have killed some good bucks. Alot of times the points I'm talking about won't be very long, more like a nub that usually drops off pretty quick but will split the main holler.

SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:23 pm

The red dot is the point at the head of a long holler. Yellow dots are saddles on either side of the point.

SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:26 pm

I have to be careful with my maps. Bowhunter4life will know where I'm at if I zoom out much more. Lol. Anyway I hope that cleats up what I was taking about.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:57 pm

The yellow dot on the left looks more like a funnel to me, but I don't know what the contour intervals of the map are. It could be 20' elevation changes and not show a dip in the terrain.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:58 pm

Hawthorne wrote:A piece of dry land that's thick and narrow between two impassable pothole swamps that connects bedding on both sides during the rut. I have found a few spots like this and they always produced. Great for late morning early afternoon when they are cruising.

I agree. Also great spot to sit gun hunting when the deer are getting pushed. I have a few of these in the northwoods that are always exciting to hunt.

SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:11 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:The yellow dot on the left looks more like a funnel to me, but I don't know what the contour intervals of the map are. It could be 20' elevation changes and not show a dip in the terrain.

It is a slight saddle at each of the yellow dots, if you hunt the red dot you catch 50 percent of the movement from each of those. This isn't actually a spot I hunt, just an example for Putt4doe.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:01 am

River bottom funnels. Access is one of the best.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:16 am

Basically anything that will stop other hunters from crossing - lakes, rivers, swamp, bog, muck, cattails...
OZARKHUNTER88

Unread postby OZARKHUNTER88 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:49 am

Stanley wrote:Give me a thick understory. I love the thick brush with a nice hardwood canopy.

Yes, this in hillcountry is my favorite kind of spot
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:20 am

xpauliber wrote:The area I hunt in PA is littered with logging roads, some of which have been cut into hillsides but are now overgrown and become flat benches on the side of a steep hill. These are almost always in big woods settings and give me somewhat of a funnel in an otherwise featureless terrain.

I guarantee if you find one of these benches, they will be littered with scrapes in about 2 weeks.

I saw exactly this scenario in Kentucky hill country last year.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:27 am

Hill country inside corner or a fence crossing near a cut deep in the woods
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:26 am

How about "flat", works for me.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement