Low impact strategies

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Treejunkie

Low impact strategies

Unread postby Treejunkie » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:38 am

Hey hunters, what strategies do you practice to keep you impact on your hunting land to a minimum? I would have to assume most of us don't have
thousands or even hundreds of acres to stomp all around. Even if you did, I would think you would still want to keep a low profile.

I have a brother-in-law who has no idea of what low impact means. I try to keep him on his "portion" of our hunting land which is separated by a wide strip of swamp. I wish he would get permission to hunt the neighbors because he is the type who would push all of those deer onto my place. :lol: :pray:

Other things I do:

No deer cameras except for in the food plots. Makes it easy to check the buck population. I expect any mature buck pic at night.

I made a string and pulley combo from my tree stand to a scrape near my stand. It is about 30 yards away and all I have to do is put out a scent rag on my string and place it near the scrape like an old type laundry line.

I have an exit trail that is raked out and I can walk in/out in total silence. I also cannot be seen on this trail from the food plot.

I stay as scent free as possible and never hunt with an iffy or bad wind.

Never leave my stand until it is black, not just dark. I have also had people drive near my stand to bump the deer.

I stay out of the bedding areas and only hunt the fringes, with the exception of the rut if I am seeing bucks but they are not making it to me by dark. This is usually a one or two hunt thing before they are educated.

What do you do to keep your hunting area fresh??

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Low impact strategies

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:49 am

We all have hundreds and thousands of acres here at the huntingbeast....

Really...many of us hunt in such a way we simply don't go back to a spot more than once maybe twice a season if we go back more than the first sit...

Most of us are your regular guy with little to no private land..if we have it we knocked on the door and got it...

We hunt in a different manor and we are intrusive from day one...opening day we are within 100-200yds of a bedded buck...or HOPE we are....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Trying to hunt scent free and low impact in the same stands repeatedly can get frustrating. I have a handful of spots I may hunt twice per month. Other than that it's one and done as tight to bedding areas as possible.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:22 pm

I own 23 acres and only hunted it 3 days last year and shot a doe and an 8 point. One evening and two mornings. My evening spot I walk down the road and cut in down a fence row about 25 yds to a small food plot that borders buck bedding. That's were I shot my 8. I know what your saying with your brother in law.I use to hunt a 20 acre woodlot with 3 other guys and it was tough. Those guys did'nt did'nt practice careful entry and exit and their was big bucks on that property that nobody hardly ever killed. I did take a 120"10 point off that property during the rut. The neighbors did good because they pushed all the deer to them.

Mike

Unread postby Mike » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Things we consider to stay low impact: Scent control (including wind direction and ground scent) hunting when conditions are good for movement(weather then moon, and time of year), planned low impact access and exit. Also not shooting does outta buck stands.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:53 pm

I only hunt a spot 1-2 times per yr. By spot I means with in a few hundred yrds of there. I have access to thousands of acres. I narrow that down to about 500-700 acres to concentrate one. Hunting specific bucks. Rarely hunt the same ridge or hollow more than twice...

BHC

Unread postby BHC » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:02 pm

I quit raking paths to stands, bucks I felt that affects my one or two hunts more negatively than the noise of walking in. I like to hunt a set that is completely untampered by human intrusion. We have food plots, but the stands I hunt, I don't think more than one person goes near them per yr. I do hang cams in my stand locations, but I don't check them until I hunt the stand and then maybe not again till season close if I leave them. So I lose that , getting to check cams regularly, but I learn from them. We can't hang cams on plots, because the guys it hunt w want them as fresh as possible, as that's mostly where they hunt.

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:21 pm

Water access and exit if possible.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”