What to do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tree_ghost

What to do?

Unread postby Tree_ghost » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:00 am

Ok so my target buck is bedding in a 30 acre section of thicket on our farm. I have him pegged pretty well on his movement. My problem lies in the fact that his bed is surrounded by doe bedding. What do I do? His staging area is inside the doe bedding and he doesn't move past it till 7:45 at the earliest. Shooting light ends at 7:00...do I risk having a doe bust me on the approach and hopefully slip past them or just surrender until the rut? Image[/url]

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Re: What to do?

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:16 am

Since it's your land and you can control most factors, I would bide your time. I would sit back and wait until the late prerut, then sneak into your best stand under optimal conditions. Good luck no matter how you decide to hunt him.
loneranger

Unread postby loneranger » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:39 pm

I would wait until closer to the rut,,bucks are quite late coming out in the open until hormones really start kickin in. Would not burn out good stands with human scent this early. Just me in my area. I don't get good buck sightings until close to or in,,the RUT.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:16 pm

What about an early morning over head moon? Could you get in there while there are all out still feeding? Play the wind right bet it would work.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:17 pm

An I mean like 3 am in there early. Set up ready.

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:38 pm

How do you know he's coming out at 7:45? Trail cam? Shining? If you are able to monitor what time he's coming out I think if you wait until about the last ten days in October you might see some earlier movement.

I would just be patient. It's hard to sit back and wait when you know he's in there but I think that's the best move.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Questions: Will he bed on that 30 acres in a month? Everything may have changed unless you have a history of him being there all season last year. Will his patterns and bedding locations change during the rut? Waiting a month--will that solve your doe problem?

I would go for it. If you make a mistake well then at least you tried and can learn from it. If you wait a month and he's no longer there you will regret it.

Can you access via water with wind in your favor and observe on the water's edge? This may burn less of your area and give you more info on where he's vulnerable.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:50 am

Are you sure he's gonna stay there? If you aren't sure I might roll the dice and go for it.
What is around for other bucks? Is it just does bedding near him? I'm thinking pre-rut and a decoy. If it were me, I would try and get as close as possible and set that decoy up. If he does get up during daylight and sees that buck decoy you might be in for quite a show.
He might tolerate a little buck or two in the vicinity, but the new "bigger" buck will be viewed as a threat to his bedding and his does.
If he doesn't come out during daylight start calling with 15 minutes of light left.

Rome

Unread postby Rome » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:25 am

As others have said, you have to strike while the iron is hot. If he's coming out consistently right now, and you can plan an attack, go for him. Maybe wait for a cold front and/or moon night. I've had too many instances where I have not gotten aggressive when I have intel, and have waited for pre-rut or rut, and the buck has moved onto a different range by then. So, I was hunting a buck that was no longer where he was. I have yet to scout a mature buck that uses the same bed from early season through rut and into late season. So, now when I know there is one in a spot, I hunt him the first chance that the wind is right for that spot. And, I can say with certainty, it has helped me have some great sits this early season thus far.
Tree_ghost

Unread postby Tree_ghost » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:00 am

Ok let me answer some of the questions
1. Yes I have been monitoring this buck for the past 4 months with trail cams and gassing
2. I have a couple years of history with him and he stayed on this farm year round last year.
3. There is the possibility of me putting a canoe in the river and coming up from there while they are feeding in the beans given a southwest wind but the last pics I have of him in the beans are at 4 am and he's using a different trail to his bed that I haven't figured out yet because I only have pictures of him going to the beans and then feeding in them...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”