I bumped a big one!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter74201

Re: I bumped a big one!!!

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:50 am

i'm interested in the "what do i do now" as well...

Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:02 am

Well, You don't want to burn the other beds until you think he has moved. You could hunt his new bed one more time and walk into it after the hunt, just to make sure he stays out if you think it's just temporary anyway. I'm no expert, so maybe someone more experienced could chime in.

I would have had a hard time believing those rubs were from a deer. That tree is thick.
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:16 am

I believe I'm going to go with the same game plan again and be focusing on the area I bumped him glassing ahead to see if he's laying....I sat in his bed and he had a 50 yd visual of the route I was coming from. And only 15-20 every where else around him. I'll keep it updated come Friday evening if the wind is out of the N

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:46 am

Being that close to the field it appears he is still in a summer pattern. I wouldn't count on him using that bed anytime soon though now that he was not only bumbed, but you were actually in his bed. Once he smells your scent in his bed he will know you know his hiding spot. You might get lucky and he will be back in that bed when you are able to hunt it again in six days, but I haven't had good luck with them going back into a bed that close to an open field like that after bumping them once they are in hard antler. I don't have a lot of experiance with hunting farm bucks though. If you get a good rain right away that could up your odds.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:29 am

I've found that bucks will bed just off fields because they can see a long ways. Could it be possible that now that the beans will be off and with the wind at his back- that might be a bed that he uses?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:36 am

I agree with DEERSLAYER and would also say, generally the summer patterns put the bucks where they can travel short distances to food during the hot months.

Knowing first hand you have a shooter that has been bumped from that bed, and has now for sure smelled he was being hunted....I would wait until the winds were absolutely perfect to bed hunt where you think his primary bed is.

I'd be curious why he would bed so close to beans that are ready to harvest. For them to be ready, they've been brown for sometime now. Are there other food sources very close to where you bumped him?

TN Whitetail Freak

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm not sure about other food sources it was only my 2nd time in there and the last being march 6th

BHC

Unread postby BHC » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:38 pm

I have a buddy that says they are still hitting beans, and his beans are turnin.... I'd imagine he feels safe there and will continue to bed near the beans... It's tough to hunt a buck doing that...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
TN Whitetail Freak

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:31 am

Got the same NNE wind today although it's 11mph instead of 5 so I should sound more quieter. Another thing is 7 days ago it was 71 degrees, today it is 52 degrees with a cool front moving through Thursday so I would think deer would be inclined to be more active we shall see

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”