WHO hunts with a CrossBow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: WHO hunts with a CrossBow?

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:37 am

You should seek professional help, crabtree.

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:50 am

rancid crabtree wrote:
loneranger wrote:Detect a little animosity there twards the weapon?

my father who is 80 and my little niece who is 12 cant be bowhunters since they cant use a real bow so they are crossbow hunters. They still have fun doing that sort of thing but they dont call themselves bowhunters.

Maybe they do call themselves bowhunters but don't bring it up in front of you for fear of ridicule. :?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:57 am

I have noticed a similarity shared by the xbow hater club.....they all think that hunting with a compound bow is very difficult and makes them 'special'.

If that's all you have too feel special about..... :violin:
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:13 am

burkhart wrote: last I checked I it fired an arrow it was considered a bow

Yes, a crossbow if stored energy and per-cocked and a bow if human powered. There is a difference.

burkhart wrote: I can't take a stand where I consider a person less of a hunter simply based on the weapon they carry.

AT NO TIME should there be any thought that a crossbow hunter is less of a hunter than a bowhunter. AT NO TIME have I written or read where such a implication was made. All hunters are hunters and are good people in my book. At the same time, a handgun hunter, a ML hunter, A rifle hunter are also not bowhunters (just alike a crossbower is not a bowhunter). This in no way makes them "less than" a bowhunter. It just makes them something other than a bowhunter. IT makes them different than a bowhunter. It doe not make them less than a bowhunter.

Bowhunting is a true human powered endeavor. It is not better than the stored energy weapon hunters, it just makes them different. The bowhunter has to and through only the human power he is capable of, draw back and hold the weight of the energy used to propel his projectile. The stored energy weapons such as firearms and crossbows have the unique advantage of being pre-loaded or cocked through a mechanical means. Bowhunting does not enjoy that ease of use.

As such, bowhunting and bowhunters are different in that they use only human power at the time of the kill to propel their arrow. While this method offers more challenges than the stored energy weapons like firearms and crossbows, it does not make them or their users better than other hunters, just different. Bowhunting and crossbow hunting are different. Bows and crossbows are different. This is why a bowhunter is not a crossbower and a crossbowers is not a bowhunters. No better and no worse, just different. You dont see bowhunters posing as crossbowers. AS such we ought not see crossbowers trying to pass themselves of as bowhunters.
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:16 am

Zap wrote:You should seek professional help, crabtree.

You really should stick to the subject matter rather than instantly launching into a personal attack instead of reasoned and thoughtful arguments. If you cant muster such a thing, try not posting at all. Personal attacks are lame. You should know better by now. Expand your horizons a bit for a change.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:19 am

Cam let off eliminates the human power needed via storing the actual energy thru mechanical means.....which equals stored energy device....but we do not see the term 'cam let off compound bow hunter' too often. Even p&y recognizes this.

I was not making a personal attack, crabtree. It was an observation and advice that might benefit you.
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:26 am

A bowhunter pulling back a 70 Lb longbow and a 70 Lb. Compound must reach the peak weight of 70 Lbs only through human power. If he is not strong enough to pull back 70 Lbs, he must use less weight, if 45 Lbs is all the weight he can muster through human power, that in and of itself limits him in shot distance, selection and shot angle. Stored energy weapons such as firearms and crossbows dont have such limits which is why a 12 year old girl can kill with a 175 Lb crossbow even if she has somebody else cock it for here or if she uses a crank. Bowhunting is human powered.

Crossbowers like to talk of holding weight and want to avoid talking about pulling back the peak weight as a way to detract by using disingenuous and strawman arguments. Bowhunters have to pull back the peak weight be it a longbow or compound. If you cant pull the peak weight, there is no point of talking about holding weight because you cant get there but through being strong enough to overcome the bows pulling weight. :D

Oh an if we are making observations of one another, its clear you have your head up your keaster 24/7. Just an honest observation. you should look at getting that fixed.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:29 am

All right guys lets stick to answering the original posters question, "who hunt's with a crossbow?" This is not a debate discussing the right and wrongs about crossbows and will not be tolerated here. If you can't be respectful to each other In posts I suggest you hash it out in PM's and keep it off the board.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:31 am

Agreed Dewey. You will note these matters tend to originate with Zap regardless of the subject matter. It gets old real fast. Just wait. You will see. He insists on the last word and insults.
Last edited by rancid crabtree on Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:32 am

Let off cams store energy. Period. And = stored energy device.

Many crossbows need a strong person to pull back and cock/decock them.

Your argument is LAME, crabtree.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:40 am

rancid crabtree wrote:Agreed Dewey. You will note these matters tend to originate with Zap regardless of the subject matter. It get old real fast. Just wait. You will see.

To be fair you minimized crossbow hunters in your post and that was how it all got started. You can't light a small fire and then not expect it to spread into something much bigger. I'm not going to get into a back and forth verbal match about this so lets end this right now.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:04 am

I hunt with a crossbow. I also enjoy hunting with compound, muzzleloader, shotgun, and rifle. I would like to get better at shooting with my 44 mag Ruger Redhawk so I can hunt with it, and I would also like to get a recurve for hunting.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:41 am

I have one but rarely use it and only from the ground.

Does an Excaliber count as a traditional bow since it is a recurve?

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:20 am

GRUD wrote:
Does an Excaliber count as a traditional bow since it is a recurve?

Definitely....post over in the other thread... :lol:
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:21 am

Dewey wrote: To be fair you minimized crossbow hunters in your post and that was how it all got started.

No. Loneranger posted:

"Detect a little animosity there twards the weapon?"

I posted my reply and at no time (I even went out of my way to explain that they are not "less than" bowhunting.) did I minimize crossbow hunters. I set out to explain that they are not the same as bowhunters. When faced with such truths, some get offended and lash out wildly.

But back to the original question. No, I use a homemade longbow or a compound. I am not a crossbow hunter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”