who deer hunts with a traditional bow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

who deer hunts with a traditional bow?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:51 am

I've been bowhunting traditional most of the last 16 years. I haven't even picked up my compound this summer. I shoot almost every evening from 15 minutes to an hour. I also have killed my biggest buck with a recurve. Lets hear what your main trad bow is. I shoot a 55lbs black widow PSA.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

hoyt

Re: who deer hunts with a traditional bow?

Unread postby hoyt » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:52 am

I started out with recurves back in the 1950's and switched to compounds a few yrs after they came out. About 4 or 5 yrs ago I went back to recurves only..haven't touched my compounds since.

I got 4 recurves I hunt with, but this yr I'll be using my newest Border Covert Hunter 47# finishes out 62" with 17" riser. Shoot 340 FMJ's and Simmons Tree Shark broadheads..625grs arrow.

I shoot just about every day if possible.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:42 am

I hunted for several years with a Martin x200 recurve. Simple, but effective. It is a dream to carry. I just never could extend my effective killing range beyond 15 yards. My desire to shoot more deer put me back on compound. Perhaps one day I'll put in the time back into it and get proficient again. I miss it

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:06 am

Hoyt your shooting a Border covert hunter? That is a serious bow and one Id love to shoot some day($$$$).

I go back and fourth. I shoot recurves 90% of the year, competing in ibo or indoor tournaments in the winter. I grab the compound when I lose confidence, and can hit with it with no practice. The recurves I have to shoot almost daily to stay sharp. I used a hoyt buffalo with uukha limbs last yr. This year Im shooting a 25" axiom plus riser with the uukha limbs making a 68" recurve.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:26 am

All I've ever hunted with except for a two year break. This year hunting with a 55# Carbow Tukto EX recurve.... Usually shoot longbows but this recurve just shoots to good

Ravenhunter

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:11 am

I have a fedora recurve and a Canadian Archer long bow. My goal was to hunt with them this year. I dont think im proficient enough yet to shoot a deer. So my Elite will have to do.

Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:49 am

have not mastered that yet - perhaps in my next life
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:45 pm

I use every single type of bowhunting tool available.

I started with a Shakespeare recurve in the 70's then Ben Pearson for years. I hunted with a compound for a while. I just bought my first new compound in 30 years.) In the 80's I started making my own longbows and hunting with them. In 2008 a made a longbow for my son and ended up killing an 8 point at 8 yards on Nov. 8th. I have already killed a few deer this season with a bowtech and at some point I will use the longbow. I go back and fourth.
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:07 pm

I am currently using a reflex Dflex long bow that someone made and loaned to me. It is a nice bow. It is sitting at #49. I'm currently using 400 spine carbon arrows with 100gr inserts and 200gr grizzlies. I actually just built 6 arrows today. I plan to get around to wooden arrows after I conquer the bows. I haven't found anyone around here that can give me hands on help so progress is slow, trial and error.

I have a hickory self-bow that a local guy made for me. I really struggled to get arrows tuned to it so I shelved it till I learn more (He used dowel rods from the lumber yard and shot great with it :shock: ). I have plans to go cut some staves this winter so I can learn to make my own bow down the road.
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:19 am

I shoot and hunt with longbow's, recurves and compounds. My hobby is making my own bows and really find it rewarding to shoot and hunt with a bow that I've spent many hours making just the way I want. I also collect some of the oldies that are fun to play with too.

GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:40 am

I shoot a Schafer Silvertip about 50lbs or a shade under. Beautiful bows. Looking to get a long bow or make a self bow if I ever get the time. I still shoot compound and xbow too.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:33 am

I occasionally hunt with my 1972 Bear Kodiak Hunter. Hope to kill a buck with it one of these years but haven't had the time lately to practice enough to feel confident taking a shot at a deer beyond 10 yards.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:33 am

Dewey, that in and of itself is one of the challenges of Traditional bowhunting. You want to get close. The closer the better. I think thats why I enjoy trad hunting most of all. (that and the smell of fresh cut cedar shafts.)
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:15 am

40lb Maddog longbow and an Osage 40lb self bow. I cant shot a compound anymore, once I began to truly understand instinctive archery and have been able to pick spots on live animals, i feel I have the upper hand over the modern stuff, esp in thick cover where shots are 20 and under.
100rollie

Unread postby 100rollie » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:53 am

Currently Black Widow 60" SA autumn oak, 55lb at 29"( I have identical bow in Graybark too.)
Shot 70lb Chastain Wapiti in the 80's - 90's, then 65lb. B.W. around 2001 till last year.
Trump won
I know it, you know it.
Are you a democrat , or an American!
"Lets Go Brandon!"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”