To punch your tag....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

VA5326

Re: To punch your tag....

Unread postby VA5326 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:11 am

I've lost a few in my day. Personally, I keep hunting.

If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:16 am

However, last year my buck was completely eaten by coyotes when I found him and did put my tag on him even though I could have left him and kept hunting.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:44 am

Thanks for the thoughts guys. It definitely depends a lot on different situations.

Stash I came up with the east/west split just because the only hunters I ever heard talk about punching their tag on a lost animal were from out west, but I will admit I don't know many western hunters, I have heard of it maybe half a dozen times that I can think of.

As far as lost animals go...every experienced hunter has lost an animal or two, but I have noticed some loose far more than others, they don't seem to grow out of it routinely happening. My first decade of bowhunting I lost quite a few. In the last 8 years I lost one deer, a buck I gutshot in 2013 and inexplicably could not find. I am proud of that and try to keep that average up.

ozzz wrote:However, last year my buck was completely eaten by coyotes when I found him and did put my tag on him even though I could have left him and kept hunting.

You could have? I always assumed when you found a deer you lost you were obligated to tag it even if the meat was spoiled or yotes got it...but thinking about it I bet most state regs don't even cover this topic. I do think in your case, if you asked a warden, it would be a good show of discretion to tell you to keep hunting since yotes simply beat you to the meat.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:47 am

Mike Foss has a $100 wounding fee at NWO. I think that is a great policy and makes guys think hard about taking marginal shots.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:00 am

Marginal shots should be passed up. Having deer close and not shooting because no 'good' shot opportunity presents itself is part of the game.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:04 am

Since I hunt for meat rather than horns, and because I have several tags in my pocket, I Continue to hunt. My goal is to supply my family with the meat we will use for the upcoming year, I have lost very very few deer in nearly 40 years of bowhunting. It happens, this is not a perfect world.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:13 am

If I had a tag I would not punch it unless I recovered the animal. But with no tags and 2/day limit on deer all season long, pretty easy decision, I keep hunting...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”