UV Blockers & Detergents

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

UV Blockers & Detergents

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:50 am

I've never used anything besides regular detergent on my hunting clothes, but I'm transitioning into getting UV blocking spray & detergent for my hunting gear. I'm curious to hear if anyone else here has used anything like this before and what your results have been?

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: UV Blockers & Detergents

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:52 am

I had been using the name brand "hunting" detergents for several years, but ran out last night right before a hunt and ran down to the store to find they were out. I went over to the normal detergents and found a hypoallergenic laundry detergent for a heck of a lot cheaper and used it all season long. I had no worse results and even seemed maybe better. as far as UV blocker I don't know much about that side of it. The one I am using is ECOS free and clear. It has no brighteners, Fragrances, or dyes.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:53 am

Edit not last night I meant last year. I wish i had gotten to hunt last night this weekend is opening weekend!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:03 am

Baking soda if I have a full load of hunting crap, otherwise I just mix them in with the regular detergent...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:15 am

For decades I have washed my gear in nothing but baking soda and water but any unscented detergent without "Whiteners" is fine. It will be the cheapest on the self as well.
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:19 am

I use a detergent called Sport Wash. Usually one big jug lasts me all season. I don't know if it matters or not.. It doesn't cost much more than regular detergent and figure it can't hurt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:20 am

I wash all my hunting clothes in baking soda and spray my clothing with UV Killer if it glows under a black light. The baking soda has nothing to do with being scent free. It's just cheap detergent and will not add any brightening to the fabric of my clothing.

The UV Killer is especially important in my opinion with your cold weather gear when you have a better chance of being skylined due to lack of leaf cover.

feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:32 am

That's good to no I'm using baking soda now

Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:46 am

I'm sure I could look this up somewhere else, but I'm trying to help everyone's post count. Plus, maybe someone else wants to know. How much baking soda do you use?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:54 am

Florida wrote:I'm sure I could look this up somewhere else, but I'm trying to help everyone's post count. Plus, maybe someone else wants to know. How much baking soda do you use?

I use 1/2 to 3/4 cup/ load. Probably too much but it's cheap.

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:59 am

How frequently do you need to use the UV killer to eliminate the glow your clothing gives off?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:04 am

I treated my clothing a few years back and it's still not glowing under a black light after many washings. As long as you don't use detergent with brighteners again one treatment is all you need. Watch fabric from overseas as that stuff seems the worst. All of my USA made clothing has zero glow to it.

Ravenhunter

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:22 pm

My personal test for laundry detergent was washing it then walking in front of a infared trail camera. I've found if im not glowing I'm good.

Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:42 pm

Dewey wrote:I treated my clothing a few years back and it's still not glowing under a black light after many washings. As long as you don't use detergent with brighteners again one treatment is all you need. Watch fabric from overseas as that stuff seems the worst. All of my USA made clothing has zero glow to it.

I'm personally more concerned about any UV glow than scent due to playing the wind. That said, only speaking from my personal experiences, the best way to avoid any UV glow is to 1) buy clothes that aren't glowing to begin with, as was stated above, and 2) use a hunting wash without any brighteners from day one and nothing else.

I used the UV Killer spray on some clothing that had the "glow" and I wasn't able to completely eliminate it. On top of that, the amount I had to use to see any meaningful results ended up giving the clothing a stiff starchy feel. I wasn't impressed with the product but again that's just my experience.

Takeaway points... that is if you think its a necessary measure... buy quality clothing from the get go and take care of it properly for the life of it.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:00 pm

jmaas07 wrote:How frequently do you need to use the UV killer to eliminate the glow your clothing gives off?

What the bottle says, it's a 'one and done' kind of thing - unless you wash your clothes in a whitener style detergent
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”