This year's scrapes.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

James
500 Club

Re: This year's scrapes.

Unread postby James » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:36 am

Central MN on public land I've found 4 active scrapes already.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:26 am

I started seeing them about 2 weeks back. I got a 1.5 year old with a beautiful open scrape under a beech tree. At least around here, beech seems to be the go-to for scrapes and licking branches.

The older bucks aren't working the scrapes just yet, but that will change before the end of this week.

The scrapes I am seeing are on the edges of hardwoods and "hang-out" areas for deer. This time of year, deer will loiter in hardwoods and oaks through a majority of both daylight and night hours since they will sometimes use the oaks as both a bedding area and primary food source. The younger deer are just feeling frisky and expressing themselves a bit.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
the g1

Unread postby the g1 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:24 pm

I have found a bunch in Michigan. While checking a stand spot today I found 5 scrapes within shooting distance. Usually I don't pay a ton of attention to scrapes, but these are deep and 4ft round. If I am lucky the wind will be right on the 1st.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:48 pm

the g1 wrote:I have found a bunch in Michigan. While checking a stand spot today I found 5 scrapes within shooting distance. Usually I don't pay a ton of attention to scrapes, but these are deep and 4ft round. If I am lucky the wind will be right on the 1st.

Looks like we are in for great weather on the opener.

Thanks everyone else for the updates, keep them coming.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”