Hunting in the Fog

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Silverback6

Hunting in the Fog

Unread postby Silverback6 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:10 am

Planning on doing a sit tomorrow morning but it's supposed to be foggy. Do you guys ever hunt in the fog? I know it will make it more difficult for me to see the deer but it will also make it more difficult for the deer to see my movement. I'll be hunting on the ground. How does fog effect deer movement?

Wlfpckhuntr27

Re: Hunting in the Fog

Unread postby Wlfpckhuntr27 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:55 am

The thing I don't like about hunting in the fog, is not the visibility aspect, but the scent aspect. To me, fog is a visible indicator of the thermal. If the air is falling and pooling in the area, what is my scent doing? Scent is doing the same thing.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:19 pm

Well, my hunting log of the last 8 season tells me hunting in the fog is crap, rarely see much but last year I shot a big old 10 point in pea soup fog so thick that I couldn't see where my arrow hit the deer so go figure :lol:
WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:32 pm

another thing is sounds travel a lot further. i can't remember if I've killed in bad fog....i don't think so..lite fog yes.
i do remember fumbling around one morning, in fog so thick and it was real dark. if I got 4' from my tree i would lose it.
close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:39 pm

I can't ever remember killing or seeing good deer movement during heavy fog, but I still love the ambiance of those foggy mornings and will hunt them any chance I get.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:31 pm

I look forward to fog. In my experience they move in the fog as if it was night time. I've had good luck hunting in open feeding spaces like oak flats, places I'd usually expect them to be after dark. Nothing like having a big buck materialiZe just a few feet away, eye to eye.
It can be frustrating when you know they are close and you can't see them.
Maybe mountain fog is different?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:26 am

Thick fog cost me a really nice buck I'd been hunting.

I was watching a good trail from feeding to beds and he came out to check the trail at about 60yds. It was all I could do to see him in the thick fog..but to make matters worse I had rode my bike about 7 miles to get to the area and just climbed the tree. My body heat was still way up and with the fog and humidity and my body heat the scope would fog up before I could draw a good bead on him.

He vanished in the fog.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:40 am

Thick fog brings back memory of another hunt. I was going in way before daylight wide open on my bike and could only see about 20' ahead on the old two path woods road I was on when all of a sudden I see about a 24" dia pine tree laying across the road at about 20' ahead.

I had my rifle strung across my back and all I could do was dismount (the brakes were gone on the bike) like a calf roper and I hit the ground running so fast and leaning so far forward I was barely able to get my led foot over the tree when I came to it. The bike just crashed into the pines.

One of several crashes I had riding bicycles in and out before and after dark. Sailed over the handles bars on one and complete somersault with another. Front wheel dropped down and 12" inches into a mud puddle with lime rock walls. Front wheel stopped and bike went over the top of me with me on it. Over the handle bars I hit a little cypress knee coming out wide open.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:41 am

PK_ wrote:I can't ever remember killing or seeing good deer movement during heavy fog, but I still love the ambiance of those foggy mornings and will hunt them any chance I get.

Sounds romatic PK :lol:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:13 am

I have seen a few big bucks appear and then disappear again in dense fog. It's a pretty cool setting to hunt in but your vision is severely limited. You need to really be paying attention to make a shot.

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:04 am

Dewey wrote:I have seen a few big bucks appear and then disappear again in dense fog. It's a pretty cool setting to hunt in but your vision is severely limited. You need to really be paying attention to make a shot.

I definitely agree with this. I had a big buck appear once, suddenly the fog thickened just a bit, and then a moment later when it thinned back to normal he was gone. I've had a couple of close encounters that taught me to be at a more ready position than usual and to really take note of any thing I "think" might be a deer.
deereload

Unread postby deereload » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:48 am

shot a decent buck two years ago in the fog - how many times have we read that deer don't move in the fog - imo - I hunt on my off days and most of my vacations are taken in the last part of October and early November - I enjoy hunting - even if the moon is under foot or over head , whether its raining or snowing , foggy or overcast or sunny - if I have the day off - I will go and sometimes I get lucky - remember - its always better to be lucky than good -
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:51 am

It's tantalizing for sure...
Just imagine!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:33 pm

It definitely adds a special effect to the outdoors, coupled with the anticipation of seeing a giant materialize out of the mist makes it kinda cool, so yes I've done it for sure and will continue to do so but my success on foggy hunts has not been the greatest as others have also experienced and I believe the moisture and humidity add to the scent advantage for the animals

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”