Our effect on the air, how we shed and what we leave behind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rancid crabtree

Our effect on the air, how we shed and what we leave behind

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:14 am

Always seeking out info that may relate to deer hunting since I tend to focus slightly more towards the deer senses than anything, I found this interesting.

Researchers were able to identify who was in a room by sampling the air in the room after they left due to the residual “cloud” they emit.

Several prior deer studies have shown that once we hunt a stand it takes about 3 days for the deer to begin using that area again. Ive always wondered if our scent/essence/signature which we express during the several hours we are on stand, clings to everything down wind and takes days to dissipate?

http://www.sci-news.com/biology/science ... 03261.html

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/ar ... d-with-you

This led me to think about the heater body suit (without any insulation in the early season) and a battery operated O3 machine like the WhitetailR Scent purge 50 in the suit with the hunter killing human odor (except that of the mouth and head) while they hunt. How is that not already on the market? A giant ripstop nylon bag with arm zippers (like the IWOM suit). Im surprised the industry has not offered such a body bag/O3 combination with a hood.

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Re: Our effect on the air, how we shed and what we leave beh

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:54 am

Those are some neat articles/findings Rancid.

I have a question about your suit idea, would the ozone be absorbed by our skin and therefore still be harmful?
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:01 am

BigCedarJack wrote:Those are some neat articles/findings Rancid.

I have a question about your suit idea, would the ozone be absorbed by our skin and therefore still be harmful?

Ozone is only harmful to breath it actually has healing properties to the exterior of our body.

http://www.oxygenhealingtherapies.com/intro_ozone.html

http://altered-states.net/barry/update2 ... gozone.htm
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:04 am

Those are interesting concepts Rancid. I don't know what the Scent purge %0 costs but I bet your suit would be extremely pricey.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:05 am

Wouldn't the bag need to be worn during access to not containment the area?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:06 am

rancid crabtree wrote:
BigCedarJack wrote:Those are some neat articles/findings Rancid.

Ozone is only harmful to breath it actually has healing properties to the exterior of our body.

http://www.oxygenhealingtherapies.com/intro_ozone.html

http://altered-states.net/barry/update2 ... gozone.htm

My ex was getting ozone injections in her bum knee!! It seemed to be helping.
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:30 am

I work on the 3rd floor of an office building. I can view the elevators from my cubical. (if you dont know what cubical is I will circle back to that in a bit)

As my day ended today I had not seen a person enter of exit the elevator for some time. I took the elevator down as I left. Immediately upon entering the elevator I knew immediately which female coworker was last to use that elevator. The scent was powerful strong and I cant smell nearly as well as a deer.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:44 am

I hear you on that one Rancid. I know different peoples houses smell different. I'm not talking cooking or fragrance smell from soaps and the such. Just a PEOPLE smell.

I also believe humans have differing ranges of what they smell. What their sensitive to. I can smell perfumes, especially expensive one from quite a distance. But open a bottle of some kind of animal gland or urine lure and I need to practically touch my nose to the bottle.

I don't know if this difference happens with deer!!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:44 am

Something that I have always taken note of after I set a trail camera is the time it takes deer to return to said area (without bait or attractants) It averaged the deer 3-5 days to return to the area...

Another great find Rancid, I don't think we will be able to eliminate our scent presence completely. Hunting the wind and having multiple hunting spots seems to be the "best" alternative.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:29 am

Kind of about, but not exactly the same. I was at the Doctors. office today. I was in the lobby waiting to get into the exam room. I needed to pass a little air if you know what I mean. Big room no big deal. The nurse comes to get me, got weighed (224). Blood pressure 162/89. So I'm in this small room with little ventilation. I am waiting for the doctor to come in and I need to relieve my stomach cramp again. Man I about choked myself out and am praying the smell dissipates before the doctor comes in. I think it did or did it?

This got me to thinking about deer hunting and the different circumstances on how long smells linger. Out in the open air I more than likely wouldn't have smelled anything if it was windy especially. So how long a smell lingers has different ranges, depending on some circumstances. The ozone machine works in an enclosed room but out in the open it may not work so well. The circumstances kind of dictate the results. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:34 am

Ozone is very reactive. This likely why it finds use in specific medical applications. Chemically it's extremely unstable and it reacts with a wide number of compounds.

A while back, Lee Lakowski (sp?) appeared on the Hunt Fish Journal (podcast) and described his journey in developing his sent "elimination" routine. He said he used to put all his clothes in some plastic container with an ozone generator but all the elastics in the waist band and the plastics and rubber would soon get frail. He had to scale that down a bit. I think it was in this episode: http://gbcraftsman.libsyn.com/lee

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:50 am

I'm waiting for one of these hunting clothing companies to start producing these in a camo version :lol: :lol: :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:58 am

Looks good. Where's my ancor point? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:20 am

I read that same article today...what a coincidence. Also read about Tea Tree Oil, Vinegar and Wheat Grass being good for stopping scent production. The Tea Tree Oil is applied like a lotion and vinegar is sprayed onto the body. They supposedly alter the PH to a lower state which inhibits production of odor causing bacteria.
Another interesting thing about the article was the immense about of bacteria feeding upon us.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:28 pm

mheichelbech wrote:I read that same article today...what a coincidence. Also read about Tea Tree Oil, Vinegar and Wheat Grass being good for stopping scent production. The Tea Tree Oil is applied like a lotion and vinegar is sprayed onto the body. They supposedly alter the PH to a lower state which inhibits production of odor causing bacteria.
Another interesting thing about the article was the immense about of bacteria feeding upon us.

Tea Tree Oil and Vinegar both have extremely intense odors to them, to the point where it becomes unbearable to be around for a duration of time, in my opinion
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”