Our effect on the air, how we shed and what we leave behind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Re: Our effect on the air, how we shed and what we leave beh

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:13 pm

rancid crabtree wrote:
BigCedarJack wrote:Those are some neat articles/findings Rancid.

I have a question about your suit idea, would the ozone be absorbed by our skin and therefore still be harmful?

Ozone is only harmful to breath it actually has healing properties to the exterior of our body.

http://www.oxygenhealingtherapies.com/intro_ozone.html

http://alteredstates.net/barry/update22 ... gozone.htm

Good to know!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:49 am

Interesting debate guys. I use tea tree oil as a disinfectant IMO it works better and lasts longer than peroxide. Now I have to rub it all over my body and go hunting :lol: I like the smell of it because it reminds me of the blue gum forests in Australia where I lived for a little while, but some people don't like it I know.

That point about ozone breaking down rubber and elastic is something I have been thinking about. I have been trying to deodorize stinky boots with a little ozone generator and am worried about ruining them. Sunlight does the same thing over time to rubber by generating ozone, and the ozone attacks the rubber.

Bill Winke had a completely sealed warm weather suit he marketed with Cabelas a few years ago but as I recall he admitted it did not work all that well. No ozone generator tho but someone could easily stick one in it with a battery pack.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:15 am

rancid crabtree wrote:Always seeking out info that may relate to deer hunting since I tend to focus slightly more towards the deer senses than anything, I found this interesting.

Researchers were able to identify who was in a room by sampling the air in the room after they left due to the residual “cloud” they emit.

Several prior deer studies have shown that once we hunt a stand it takes about 3 days for the deer to begin using that area again. Ive always wondered if our scent/essence/signature which we express during the several hours we are on stand, clings to everything down wind and takes days to dissipate?

http://www.sci-news.com/biology/science ... 03261.html

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/ar ... d-with-you

This led me to think about the heater body suit (without any insulation in the early season) and a battery operated O3 machine like the WhitetailR Scent purge 50 in the suit with the hunter killing human odor (except that of the mouth and head) while they hunt. How is that not already on the market? A giant ripstop nylon bag with arm zippers (like the IWOM suit). Im surprised the industry has not offered such a body bag/O3 combination with a hood.

I bought my HBS about 3yrs ago and it came with a battery operated ozone machine. I dont use it, cause the bag is already helping contain your scent and your head and breathe are still exposed so whats the point?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:21 am

Kenn I would say you are right, based on what I see online an average breath is about 1 quart, and a person breathes about 15 time a minute...which means every minute a hunter is exhaling about 3.75 gallons of human scented air. That is 225 gallons an hour. A lot more if there is a big buck in sight! Dump 225 gallons of anything upwind of a deer and it will be noticed!

Breath scent seems to be one of the biggest markers left by a human. People brush their teeth with baking soda and use scent killing gum but that does nothing to the air that picks up scent from your lungs, just might reduce what is in your mouth tissues a little bit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”