When the wind is less than perfect...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

When the wind is less than perfect...

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:15 pm

While reading through Bucky's treestand access thread (which is a great read BTW if you haven't seen it) a fellow beast asked a question about covering an access trail with urine or something similar. I immediately thought of an experience I had in 2010. I feel like my experience was a little too far off topic for an answer to the question and didn't want to hijack the thread. So I'm starting this one so JUST MAYBE it might help someone with a situation they've got.

I had a stand in a tiny grove that I normally hunted with a NW wind. I was VERY limited on spots back then, and I was getting trail camera pics of some decent bucks at night so I wanted to hunt it EXTREMELY bad. I was running out of time before shotgun opener so that was a major factor. I derived a plan and it actually worked. Little buck mind you, but if worked perfectly.

Here's what I did:

The vast majority of the time, deer would bed in the corn and follow the edge to the NW corner. My stand was perfect for that scenario with a NW wind. Now it was a South wind. I thought, "What if I put some doe in heat scent :D in my NW lane? He'd hit that first, circle to it, and I'd get a shot before he got my wind."

just before he hits the pixie ;)

After he circled to it. I had a nice quartering away shot when he turned and resumed the original trail.

Now before you jump to any conclusions, this is something I only did once or twice in desperation. I was pretty proud of myself at the time, but to be honest I don't even buy or use scents of any kind anymore.

At this grove, most often they would take the trail to the right when they hit the grove and stay along the corn. This crazy scent scheme was a fail safe in case they did take the wrong trail, like this little guy.

Definitely don't bank on it working! But if you ever find yourself in a situation where you REALLY want to roll the dice, it is an option and just might work.

I didn't even realize this until finishing up this thread, but I shot a buck later that same night. That one took the corn trail 8-)

Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: When the wind is less than perfect...

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:37 pm

Great idea! Might have to pick up some doe estrous just in case for the "off" winds
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: When the wind is less than perfect...

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Interestting.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”