Mock scrape question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Mock scrape question

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:02 pm

I am looking to start a mock scrape simply for the sake of taking an inventory and checking out what bucks are in the area. Not trying to hunt over them or anything like that. Anyone have any advice on scent to use, positioning, or when to start them?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Beauford

Re: Mock scrape question

Unread postby Beauford » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Start it now
For the sake of just getting inventory, put on field edge or something in an easy spot, make sure branches hanging over the spot you pick
Scent - just pee in it yourself, don't need to spend any money on anything

Now if planning on hunting over a scrape then I would have some different thoughts with this.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:19 pm

HB Mobile • View topic - Licking branches are you taking advantage?
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=31349

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:04 pm

I see the link to my thread was already posted. Dont bother creating a mock scrape, the licking branch will result in a real scrape created by deer that use the licking branch.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:12 am

I use a stick and a little "headgear" juice, place it under a brach that looks good in a high traffic area and you are set. The young bucks will hit it up and get the licking branch going and the big boys will be soon to follow. First year was good, every year after that was great as the bucks in the area got use to hitting the scrape. Mine was just a back yard experiment but it works.

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:18 am

I've always just kicked out some dirt and pee'd in it as well under a good tree that they prefer to use. Always a holly in my neck off the woods. Never had it not work. No need to by the donkey sqeezin's or whatever they market these days. :lol:
The proof is in the peepee
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:58 am

Bigburner wrote:No need to by the donkey sqeezin's or whatever they market these days. :lol:

:lol: :lol:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:47 pm

If you can get fresh doe/buck urine or estrus it works the best. I have messed with mock scrapes for along long time and my findings have been this: 99.9% of what you get from stores is junk and really dosnt work worth a crap as it's just to old and most activity at them I think had more to do with curiosity as many deer doe or buck would normally not come back.
Next I have messed with peeing on it myself with good luck and a heck of a lot better then anything I tried from store bought scent. Would get more revisits along with deer taking over the peeing for me.
Lastly and by far the best results have been from the real deal but has to be fresh. After starting my small deer farm and getting urine from them to use by far takes the cake. It still find it crazy how I will use doe and buck urine in my dripers on them and will have great action at them them around Oct 31 will start adding estrus to the dripers and the buck action just explodes at them for 2-3 days.

My best locations are field edges and logging lanes. Will be starting my mocks up this week. Will post pics from them as I get them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”