Beast rookie-map help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jpe40

Beast rookie-map help

Unread postby jpe40 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:32 pm

Hello, Ive been viewing and studying the beast and both DVD's for about a year but this is my first post. First off I want to say I am amazed by all of your dedication to your craft and your willingness to help others. I hunt in NE PA, during rifle public land is crazy but not too bad in archery. Although I have some private to hunt I enjoy walking and being out in the bigger tracks of land. I know its already hunting season for a lot of you guys and getting close for others but I would appreciate any help with this map. My trail would be the red line and the waypoint is a very poor food plot the state put it. It is a 25 minute walk on a logging road to the plot but the road ends there. I have tons of other questions but wanted to start here. Also what wind would i need to hunt the spots you guys point out.

Thanks JPE40

remmag
500 Club

Re: Beast rookie-map help

Unread postby remmag » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Welcome to the beast! 8-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:00 am

I am new to the site also. If you don't get the answers your looking for. Post it in scouting section also.

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:16 am

What way is the most common wind for the area?
If your hunting during gun season, your most likely rut hunting.

If I was you I would be sitting on the leeward side of the hills and hoping to catch the bucks cruising the thermal tunnel. Set up near pinch points/funnels on the leeward side.You have some good buck bedding points on this map.

I wouldn't be setting up on the food plot during gun season.

Early season I would sit outside the buck bedding points and hope to catch them enroute to the food plot.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:59 am

Some great looking bedding points and funnels. I am jealous. I can't mark maps from phone but any of those steep hillsides and points are likely to hold good bedding and those draws are great funnels. Good luck!

Ps. I almost missed those little swamp islands. Man that spot has it all...
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:18 am

I put green dots were I would expect them to bed on a south west or west wind.....some points may be good on a northwest wind also
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
z4racer

Unread postby z4racer » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:54 am

BigHunt, I think I get why you placed the green dots where you did in reference to the stated winds. For a newbe to "beast hunting" (myself) can you verbalize what characteristics those spots have that made you select them?

BigHunt wrote:[img]http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h362/twlonewolf/2015-09-

22%2013.14.52_zpsqdcrdylu.png[/img]

I put green dots were I would expect them to bed on a south west or west wind.....some points may be good on a northwest wind also
jpe40

Unread postby jpe40 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:04 am

Thx big hunt. The predominant wind is N NW. East and south winds are not too common. When hunting last year every hunter I saw was within a 100 yrds of the road or food plot. Forgot to mention that south of the logging road was clear cut 2 years ago.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:22 am

z4racer wrote:BigHunt, I think I get why you placed the green dots where you did in reference to the stated winds. For a newbe to "beast hunting" (myself) can you verbalize what characteristics those spots have that made you select them?

in hill country the bucks/deer in general bed off the tips of points, some side hills, and more and more im figuring out that the BEST bedding is the LITTLE SIDE points that ant shown on the topo map(if you understand what im saying?)....but to really figure out the bedding you need to put boots on the ground and scout ALL you can hunt....

the main reason why I picked those spots is just off the wind alone.....ok we know deer bed on the leeward side of the ridge(down wind side) to take advantage of the day time thermals....so that being said, you can easily pick the bedding just based on the wind for that day and cut every thing else out if its not on the leeward side....if it was an east wind or sout east wind, I would hunt else where until it becomes a soild W, NW, WSW, SW winds....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:24 am

jpe40 wrote:Thx big hunt. The predominant wind is N NW. East and south winds are not too common. When hunting last year every hunter I saw was within a 100 yrds of the road or food plot. Forgot to mention that south of the logging road was clear cut 2 years ago.

clear cut is a good thing ...my land in western Wisconsin was logged out 3 season ago.....I was really worried about it..guys on the beast kept telling me it was a good thing and let me tell you! its a good thing!! there all kinds of new browse for them and the old bedding areas are way thicker and hold more deer
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
jpe40

Unread postby jpe40 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:34 pm

Two others questions on this map. For the hill beds Do I approach the bedding areas from the side and try to set up near the bed without entering the thermal tunnel? and for the swamps. I guess my tactic should be to walk the transition on the downwind side and look for fresh sign to set up on. Thanks again for the tips. Im excited to hit the woods with my new knowledge.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:43 pm

jpe40 wrote:Two others questions on this map. For the hill beds Do I approach the bedding areas from the side and try to set up near the bed without entering the thermal tunnel? and for the swamps. I guess my tactic should be to walk the transition on the downwind side and look for fresh sign to set up on. Thanks again for the tips. Im excited to hit the woods with my new knowledge.

if you can I would walk in from the top and set up off to the side as close as you think you can get ...if you come in from the bottom in early season it will be tuff. then you should wait until the last half hour of day light when those thermals switch and then you sneak in from the bottom and set up quietly just off to the side or have a stand pre hung months in advance...

during rut if you come in from the bottom I would walk up one of those cuts....there filled with boulders and trees deer don't like traveling those cuts from what ive noticed...they seem to have those established trails near the top were they cross...perfect spot to set up

as for these "swamps"......got an areal ?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:51 pm

This thread has a good diagram showing typical hill bedding, wind and entry/setup:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17139&hilit=wind+bedding

Swamps, yes you have the right idea. But you do not always need to be on the downwind edge. For example if a swamp edge runs East-West with swamp to the North and dry land to the South. Lets say you have a SW wind. You can start at the East end of the transition and work your way West until you hit fresh sign. You can now setup just before that sign and have a 'just off' wind with a buck coming out of the swamp with the wind to his nose, out in front of you. All the swamp that was polluted with your scent on your way in doesn't matter since there wasn't fresh sign… Like any strategy, it isn't fool proof, but it works, especially if you have down your homework and know where the likely bedding in the swamp happens to be so you do not accidentally get upwind of it.

As for the small swamp on this map, you will want to stay on the downwind side. You will also have a chore keeping the evening swamp thermals from pulling your scent to any deer bedded in there.

This thread goes pretty deep into the troubles of hunting small swamps like that:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25038&hilit=swamp+thermals
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
jpe40

Re: Beast rookie-map help-terrain features for all day sit

Unread postby jpe40 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:15 pm

Due to family obligations I never got to any of these spots yet. A lot of these spots would be a 45 minute walk in. Im taking 3 days off in the next 2 weeks for all day sits. Using this map or a topo in general, what terrain features do you guys look for in an all day sit. Thanks in advance and good luck

JPE

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”