Public Land Witch

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Public Land Witch

Unread postby muddy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:06 am

I've been hunting a newer smaller parcel of public land this year and I've had an issue with one doe in particular. She has busted me at least 4 times so this morning I decided to bump my stand placement 20 yards in hopes of tricking her up. Well, the morning went nicely, saw a few does and while I was messing around with my backpack I heard a slight "crunch" below me. There she was, at the base of my tree, sniffing my LoneWolf stick. Quicker than quick she spotted me, turned inside out, and charged out of there. I grabbed my bow, hollared "HEY!", and drew while popping a 180 in the tree, all at the same time. As I came around the tree I found The Witch standing there at 15 yards staring up at the weird squirrel that yelled at her, within a millisecond I had her drilled and was fist pumping. Quick search from the tree showed the arrow.

I gave her a hour in hopes of filling another tag and during the wait two other bucks came though, nice surprise.

Anyway, I started on a GREAT blood trail full of bubbles and after 175 yards I got worried, 25 more yards and I find the first bed with this chunk of lung in it.

I figure that she'll be dead in another 20 yards in her second bed when all of a sudden she blows outta there on me not 10 yards away. Crap. At that point I knew I was in trouble and had a 1 lung hit. I gave her another hour so I could carry stuff out and redress and came back and followed an even better trail for another 400 yards or so at a fast walk as there was so much blood. Finally gettng into some cedars and thick stuff I jumped her yet again and as she ran a few steps she barrel rolled over and lay still. Thinking she was done I took a step and she bolted. Double Crap. After another 200 yards I spot The Witch under another cedar tree and she bolts again as I try to draw on her. Triple Crap. At this point I got mad. I saw where she went and snuck up there and luckily got another arrow in her, but she still bolted a ways and then collapsed. Just to make sure I snuck up again and finally got one into both lungs. Even so she hung on for another 10 minutes before she finally gave up. I felt bad for her but I have never felt happier to kill a hunter busting Witch.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Hilts

Re: Public Land Witch

Unread postby Hilts » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:18 am

Sounds a of a lot better than my morning here at work. Congrats.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:20 am

..Lol... grat story Muddy. Glad you prevailed ! Last Saturday, I was just climbing into my stand, when all of a sudden, from 20 yards away, a doe just started blowing @ me non-stop... she ran down the hill & kept blowing.. it was like she was protecting her nest or something, :roll: ... anyway, she blew for 35 minutes at me. I was so ticked off @ her, if she would have gave me a chance I would have shot her just for spite....
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:24 am

Good hunt Muddy, years back I had an old doe that alwasy busted me. It was crazy, wind in my face, 25 feet up, and not moving a muscle and she would somehow pick me off and take off and I would just sit there and wonder what I did wrong.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:32 am

Great job Muddy, now that is a blood bath and she still tried to give you the finger!!!! But you gave it right back and now she is yours!!!!! You earned her the hard way!!!! She should taste extra good!!!!!

I have a doe like that but I call her a witch with a "B". She has to go!!!!! She doesn't bust me per say, i just see her every time I leave and she gives me the stare down and swings her hips like she is something to behold. And, she really is. But she's going down!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
TreeToad

Unread postby TreeToad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:22 am

We had a doe on the property that I hunt that would pick you out of a tree no matter what way the wind was blowing. This doe was easy to tell apart by her long neck and a small patch of white on one of her front legs. The first couple years we gave her a pass. She always made it threw gun season with both of her fawns. The property is adjacent to a big chunk of public land that gets pounded during gun season. Well the last four years we changed our tunes with her. Between myself and two other guys we have had 6 encounters during the rut where she was getting chased by a shooter and everytime as she would be coming right to us she would stop and know that something was up and take the buck away from danger. I had two of these the last two years. Well last gun season on the last day of the season my cousin took her down. Not sure how old she was but I know we have trail pics of her from the past seven seasons. I'm heading up tomorrow and I'm glad she is not around...
Your arrows are only happy when they're flying!
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:28 am

Your on fire Muddy....This was my first morning on stand and I ended up seeing nothing....LOL SKUNKED!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Awesome story! Amazing deer. Glad you were able to get the drop on her.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:22 pm

nice story..sometimes its harder to fool an old doe than a mature buck...
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:52 pm

cool 8-) good story
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:41 pm

Remember smart old does raise smart young bucks
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:20 am

They raise smart young does as well who turn into smart ole witches as well!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:46 am

She is just as much a trophy as a mature buck. I think some old does are actually smarter!! Congrats on a true trophy!!
160classbuck

Unread postby 160classbuck » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Those does are just killer on us hunters. Congrats on taking her.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:34 am

8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”