Have you ever had repeat kills from same exact setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: Have you ever had repeat kills from same exact setup?

Unread postby Zap » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:10 am

Two p&y class bucks and 7 doe from the same set within 4 years.

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:43 am

Yes. A few different stands, many different reasons. The why, where, when always differs but old bucks go thru certain areas during shooting light for a reason. There's an area that i hunt that won't hardly have a buck on it until early-mid october, then look out. I've killed 3 nice bucks from the same tree on that property all before the 20th of october. Another property i can hunt generally gets over hunted early but the 2nd week of november is awesome because its the only cover/big river bottom between 2 awesome bluffs. When all the non-local bucks start cruising thru the earlier pressure doesn't matter. I've killed 3 nice bucks from the same set up on that property too.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:43 am

2 spots same tree in each location. 4 shot in the same tree and another 4 from the other tree. One Booner and the rest p&y. They were all taken during the rut. Those are my go to spots, but only hunt them a couple times a year. I'm trying to build more of them spots, once you find them it's golden.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:36 am

Yes, same tree, with a total of about 10 kills by myself and brother. The stand got in the right tree on the very first try. You won't see a buck until late October, but the first good morning of the last week of Oct. or first week of Nov. will result in a sighting or kill. I have killed five bucks from this tree. 3 of them have been 3.5 y/o or older.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:06 am

Wow. A lot more guys than I expected have spots like this. I guess we could expand on why some sets produce year after year.

Is it a rut funnel?
Close to a prime bedding area that another buck takes over once the dominant buck is killed?
Other reasons?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:34 am

Yes

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:36 am

My spots are in the thickest of thick. Sat the outside before diving in but learned very quickly those bucks would hang in there tight chasing does. That is why my shots are less than 10 yards. One spot has a Blowdown in the middle and eventually they have to come around it while chasing. It is just before a funnel to which helps move them very tight before exiting. The other location is right in known doe bedding and has a slight ridge that runs through it that they follow without getting into the open, still very thick to say the least. Again you could possibly get a 15 yard shot at the max. When you get the hot doe all breaks loose and the doe keeps running around in there which ends with the bucks looking for her. To long in there and he is dead.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:10 am

I think the question should be broken down between private and public land since there is a big difference. Private land usally has preset stands that many times stay on the same tree year after year so I would expect those to produce multiple kills. Public land hunters are much more mobile.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:30 am

headgear wrote:
dan wrote:have a few set ups that have paid off year after year... One bedding area in particular that has netted about a dozen buck kills

Dan curious what makes this bedding area so great for the bucks and why it is a great setup for you to kill them there? I'm always trying to fine tune my setups and getting your take on this bed would be great. Obviously only share what you can without giving out too much info about the area.

Its a bowl of cattails mixed with small trees and dogwood that is adjacent to several food sources and a doe bedding area. There is probably 40 or more beds in this one acre bowl, and only two exit trails. They bed there on any wind it gets used year round, and its totally over looked be everyone else.
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:38 pm

Yes, 3 in the same exact spot

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:42 pm

Yes had 3 kills from the same tree but none were over 130 class still a stand I enjoy sitting in.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:48 am

The tree I hunt is on a white oak flat, which is also a slight saddle in the ridge. A draw heads up on the east and west side roughly fifty yards from the tree. There is a big stand of pines that crosses the ridge about 40 yards behind it and there are old clearcuts roughly a quarter of a mile to the east and west. The bucks I have killed here have been cruising, and all but one have come from the west. All have passed within 25 yards of the tree and have been anywhere from 8:00 am until 6:30 pm. Most deer sightings won't come until 8 am and you can generally set your watch by it. I will add that the three biggest bucks killed here have been on first time sits for that season. This is on public land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”