Scouting Help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Locked and Nocked

Scouting Help

Unread postby Locked and Nocked » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi guys, new to the site and hoping to get some advice. I am headed to Ohio for two days in the middle of October to scout an area I haven't been to in order to plan for a week-long rut hunting trip in November. I have been reading a lot on topo maps and what to look for (thanks to those that have posted on this site) and hope to do most of my scouting in this fashion before I arrive. Here is what I have so far. The areas with red dots are my potential locations for a stand. How am I doing?

My plan for the October short trip is to wait until mid-morning and then create a route to hit as many of these spots I have highlighted on topo maps and keep a journal about which ones look promising and create waypoints on my GPS. I plan to stay high to do more glassing than moving and to help with my scent while hoping to do as little damage as possible. I will be looking for oak flats, rut sign and finding the thickest cover I can in these saddles and points.

How does this plan sound? Any suggestions?

Locked and Nocked

Re: Scouting Help

Unread postby Locked and Nocked » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:00 am

It might help to note that this area is entirely wooded with very few open spaces and zero agricultural fields.

I would really appreciate any help you guys could give. I am new to this big woods stuff and want to make the most of my time down there.
BigHunt

Re: Scouting Help

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:22 am

Just amazing. .....when I get home I'll take a look
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”