Suggestions for backpack material

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

boone0

Suggestions for backpack material

Unread postby boone0 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:06 am

Hey everyone! Just signed up here but have lurked for a while. I've been considering a project for a while and can't quite decide on how to do it. I am not quite a beast style Hunter yet, as I am going into my third deer season on Michigan public land. I am posting here because you guys get close to buck beds and I assume you value a system that allows you to pack gear quietly.

I am not really happy with how I bring in my gear. I have a few bags and backpacks, all of which are insufficient to carry winter layers and they are made of noisy material. I can sew and I think my best option is going to be to make a pack.

I bow hunt from an Aero Hunter saddle and climb with rope, an ascender, and a GriGri. So I need a pack that can carry those items, a few accessories for those, layers, and the standard minimal gear and some food for an all day hunt.

So with that in mind, I have two questions to throw out in the hopes you guys can help me make a decision:

1. What materials have you used for packs that are strong, lighter, and quiet? I have considered using old wool from blankets or fleece, but I'm not sure if they are strong enough. Canvas would be strong, but is it loud/crinkly when cold? Waterproof is not a priority - I will buy or make a pack cover for when it rains.

2. How do you pack in bulky layers? Stuffing them in a bag is a pain and really loud, and strapping them down is also a PITA and risks something getting pulled out without me noticing on the way in.

What you you do? Am I over thinking this?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Suggestions for backpack material

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:42 am

Bucksuede.

I generally strap my bulk layers to the outside of the pack. Works best if your pack has wings with webbing or at least a couple webbing loops.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”