safety harnesses

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

safety harnesses

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:38 am

for all you that have the higher end safety harnesses, are they worth the cost vs just using the ones that come in the box with the tree stand. are they really more convenient to use to make it worth the cost. I'm thinking about getting a new one like the seat o the pants, but they are not cheap.

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: safety harnesses

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:15 am

For me it was always a pain to strap on a safety harness, so I wouldn't wear one. I went out and bought a "higher end" one that just had 3 buckles, one on each leg and one in the middle, needless to say with no tangles and alot less work to put on I always wear it now. I look at it this way,if you'll always wear the one that came with the stand then it'll save your life just as good as an expensive one. But if having one that's easier to use will make you wear it all the time I think it's worth it to buy a better one. A $100 safety harness isint that big of an investment compared to hospital bills, or even a funeral.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:38 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:For me it was always a pain to strap on a safety harness, so I wouldn't wear one. I went out and bought a "higher end" one that just had 3 buckles, one on each leg and one in the middle, needless to say with no tangles and alot less work to put on I always wear it now. I look at it this way,if you'll always wear the one that came with the stand then it'll save your life just as good as an expensive one. But if having one that's easier to use will make you wear it all the time I think it's worth it to buy a better one. A $100 safety harness isint that big of an investment compared to hospital bills, or even a funeral.

X2! $100 isn't much money for something that can save your life, there is a chance of falling and seriously injuring yourself every time you climb a tree. The higher end harnesses are more convenient and more comfortable, I would say they are worth every penny. The higher end harnesses also come with loops off the belt for your linesman ropes, the cheap ones that come with stands typically don't, you would have to modify them. I would pick up whatever harness is the most comfortable for you, and a couple linesman ropes..stay connected to the tree at ALL times..you don't want to end up in the hospital, trust me, it's not fun.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:45 am

I switched to a muddy ultralight last year and am happy with it. Less complicated and more comfortable than the harness that comes with the stand. I am happy I upgraded.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:56 am

Not sure if mine qualify as high end because it cost about $40, but it's high end on features - extreme light weigh, comfort, 360 degree ability to shoot, lower suspension trauma risk, best self rescue ability, & user friendly.

I use an Alpine BOD, but BH15's video explains setup on a similar harness in detail.
http://youtu.be/7TlGkTd82eM

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:42 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I switched to a muddy ultralight last year and am happy with it. Less complicated and more comfortable than the harness that comes with the stand. I am happy I upgraded.

X2

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:46 am

if the harness you got with your stand doesn't have a lineman's belt attachment, then you would be missing out on a very useful feature worth having IMO.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:50 am

Are the higher end ones needed.. No but they are more comfortable, easier and quicker to get on and off and most box harnesses I have don't come with linesman belt loops. Just think of all the early mornings getting up exhausted and getting ready.. The tangle of straps that make a nest with those cheap harnesses is not worth the headache at early hours of the morn

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:13 am

A few years back I got one of those tree spider speed harness, after a few mods (stelth strips on all metal and removed some of the extra padding I absolutely love the thing. It never tangles and 3 clicks and I'm done.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:26 am

hunter10 wrote:Are the higher end ones needed.. No but they are more comfortable, easier and quicker to get on and off and most box harnesses I have don't come with linesman belt loops. Just think of all the early mornings getting up exhausted and getting ready.. The tangle of straps that make a nest with those cheap harnesses is not worth the headache at early hours of the morn

this is why I am thinking of the upgrade. the harness I use came with my Ol' Man ladder stand a few years back. it has the loops for a line man belt and has both tether belt and line man belt. the down side is it's all straps and is kind of a pain. the higher end ones have all the material sewn in to them and make it easier to put on and keeps things separated.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:10 am

I won one of the HSS lightweight harnesses from the big buck contest on this site a couple years ago. It is amazing compared to the tangle of straps that comes with your stand.

I would buy one in a heartbeat. I just use a lightweight linemans belt with 1 carabiner as lineman and as tree strap. Super light, easy, practical rig for me.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:15 am

I had never wore a safety harness before last year. My girlfriend started hunting so I told her the only way she could is if she wore a harness. I ended up buying one of the HSS harnesses because I wanted it for setting up my mobile stand and sticks. Really the only time i wore it last year was when I had to hang a stand. This year I wear it on every sit. There are too many things that can go wrong, even on prehung stands. It's not inconvenient and it could save your life so why not wear it.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:25 am

cbigbear wrote:Not sure if mine qualify as high end because it cost about $40, but it's high end on features - extreme light weigh, comfort, 360 degree ability to shoot, lower suspension trauma risk, best self rescue ability, & user friendly.

I use an Alpine BOD, but BH15's video explains setup on a similar harness in detail.

This. I used to wear a hss vest but these guys talked me into a rock climbing harness and I'll never go back to a vest. Even in warm weather, it's comfortable. There's no back strap to get in your way. And I can fall out of my stand and get right back in. Mine weighs almost nothing. Costs about 40 bucks. Best 40 bucks I've spent on hunting.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:33 am

I prefer the new tribe champion most of the time. Easy fall recovery and it allows me to hunt on the back side or side of my lone wolf if I want to by adjusting the tether length. I can even saddle hunt if the sit is only a couple hours. I still use a HSS ultralight with the climber as its easier and quieter to keep the tether high. The balance of the time I'm in a saddle or guidos web. No separate harness required.

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:35 am

cbigbear wrote:Not sure if mine qualify as high end because it cost about $40, but it's high end on features - extreme light weigh, comfort, 360 degree ability to shoot, lower suspension trauma risk, best self rescue ability, & user friendly.

X2! Alpine BOD harness is simple, small, not expensive, and safe. Thanks to cbigbear for that one!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”