Swhacker Broadheads

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
headgear
500 Club

Re: Swhacker Broadheads

Unread postby headgear » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:44 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Shot placement fixes most of these issues.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I think this is the big one will all broadhead issues, hit them right and they are toast. Don't hit them right and we have zero evidence but can blame the broadhead. :liar:

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:35 am

Shot placement is always king.

I shot a deer with a Swhacker Broadhead once. It was a 20 yard chip shot out of a treestand. The Broadhead failed miserably. I was using my 200lb crossbow so energy and penetration is generally not an issue. When the arrow struck the deer the aluminum body of the Broadhead collapsed jamming one blade I the partially deployed position. You can see where the blade is jammed in the second picture. The other blade was free to deploy normally. Being jammed in this position stopped the arrow in its tracks. The hit was a good hit and the only thing that was cut was a rib. The arrow never reached the vitals.

I know all this because the deer was recovered as my hunting partner had shot the buck before it got to me. His shot was fatal but the deer was still moving and covering ground so I shot as insurance to put the deer down. The arrow literally bounced off the deer. I was amazed to see the hit and watch the deer take a couple of steps and see the arrow fall out.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:59 am

I use NAP killzone. I have killed about 7 or 8 deer with them now at various angles from 10-30 yards and every deer has been on the ground within 10 seconds and within or just out of eyesight.

The blades don't bend easy. I have shot deer and even a boar hog through the shoulder and the blades were still straight and heads worked perfect, just resharpened and killed with same head several times...

I use COC only.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:16 am

PK_ wrote:I use NAP killzone. I have killed about 7 or 8 deer with them now at various angles from 10-30 yards and every deer has been on the ground within 10 seconds and within or just out of eyesight.

The blades don't bend easy. I have shot deer and even a boar hog through the shoulder and the blades were still straight and heads worked perfect, just resharpened and killed with same head several times...

I use COC only.

The NAP Spitfire is my go to Broadhead. No more cheap junk. I learned my lesson.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:51 pm

I just switched from rages and today i shot a doe the entrance hole is small because the blades dont open till the broadhead is in the deer but the exit hole was perfect. Got a complete pass through and it blew out through the other shoulder busted the bone in half was super excited about them no blood for about 35 yards then excellent bloodtrail deer ran about 80 yards

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:21 am

I have had good results... 3rd or 4th year shooting them. They don't tend to deflect like Rage do based on the mechanics of how they open. The blades are also thicker than Rage broadheads so they don't break as easy. I guess the most important part is shot placement and energy that your bow is producing. With mechanicals I think you need at least 60 foot lbs of kinetic energy. Most shots I have had pass throughs... I shot a doe through the scapula slightly quartering towards me. I also shot one through a steel drum just for giggles... blew right through it and left slits where the blades deployed. I shoot the 125 grain model in the 2.25" cut. Most deer I have shot with them died within sight

Here are a few I have snuck a Shwacker into :lol: in past few years

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:57 am

I'm partial to fixed blades now, but to each his own. If you're confident in it and they fly good I say go for it.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:01 am

Twenty Up wrote:I'm partial to fixed blades now, but to each his own. If you're confident in it and they fly good I say go for it.

Fixed blades are probably a safer overall bet. I just like the simplicity of switching from practice heads to mechanicals without having to re-sight my bow with broadheads

These broadheads come with practice heads....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:27 am

operates similar to the aftershock head that was out some years back. I liked the concept, but shot a deer and didnt get a pass through. I found the deer by sight, as there was very little blood. I couldnt put my finger in the entrance hole, maybe I just have big fingers? :lol: Hunt with what you have confidence in, but Ill take a big entrance hole and no exit over a small entrance and no exit every time.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:34 pm

I have killed several deer with the shwacker broadhead. I have had great blood trails with them and I've had some not so great. Lot of that depended on the shot placement and the angle of the shot. I arrowed a buck on almost a straight down shot that hit some shoulder and caught a lung. That blood trail was not so great but the arrow didn't make it out the bottom side so he was bleeding high. Only made it 80 yards though. The buck I shot this year was pouring it out but it was a double lung and arrow went all the way through. Many of the deer I've shot in the past few years have not gone far and bled good. I don't see myself changing anytime soon.

deereload

Unread postby deereload » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:42 am

only use rage - give them a try - gaping entrance and exit wounds - lots of blood
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:35 am

Bucky wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:I'm partial to fixed blades now, but to each his own. If you're confident in it and they fly good I say go for it.

Fixed blades are probably a safer overall bet. I just like the simplicity of switching from practice heads to mechanicals without having to re-sight my bow with broadheads

you shouldnt have to move your sights when switching from FP to a fixed head.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:38 am

attackone wrote:
Bucky wrote:

Say what you want about a properly tuned bow... every time I have tried shooting fixed blades they DID NOT fly like field pts. So if you don't shoot your broadheads after sighting in with field pts... you likely are going to have issues.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Bucky wrote:
attackone wrote:
Bucky wrote:

Say what you want about a properly tuned bow... every time I have tried shooting fixed blades they DID NOT fly like field pts. So if you don't shoot your broadheads after sighting in with field pts... you likely are going to have issues.

X2... I've seen people goof around on a shooting machine and it doesn't happen. There different and shoot different even if it's very minimal. My set up right now left and right is darn near perfect. But up and down changes especially the further away you go.

attackone

Unread postby attackone » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:15 am

Bucky wrote:
attackone wrote:
Bucky wrote:

Right now i can shoot a group with my exodus, slick tricks, swackers and FP.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”