How many sits?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

How many sits?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:45 pm

If you know a mature buck is using a specific area and can reasonably believe he is using certain trails, and you have good entry/exit to the stands, how any sits would you give it without seeing him before you move around to a different spot? This assumes a small area where use of trail cams could be counterproductive.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mauser06
500 Club

Re: How many sits?

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:03 pm

Hunting buck BEDS (not an area we think he is using...but hunting the BED we believe he is using)

Even with a good route and wind...your lucky to get 2-3 good sits a season from the spot...

Your scent blows somewhere...it can pool and stay there for some time...you gotta walk somewhere...you walk within 30yds of the trail you expect him to use... You climb a tree within 30yds of said trail...

Your scent stays there for some time...

Maybe he wasn't there...maybe he stayed till after dark...maybe he comes by while your scent is still there..

The scent you left is often untolerated by the heavily hunted mature bucks on public lands most of us chase..

My season is short (IMO..). 6 weeks..if I hunt a bed early I am pushing it to sit it again later..by that time I'm switching to rut tactics and not so much bed bed hunting anyways...so for me its one and done..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:32 am

Very good point. In one spot a couple years ago, I did some trimming the day before I sat there, buck came through on queue, but not the one I was after, he got within about 5 to 10 feet of where I had trimmed and hit the brakes big time and became totally alarmed. I was using gloves, rubber boots, etc. did no good whatsoever, he walked off very alarmed. I'd imagine I leave a lot more scent from getting to the tree and into my stand and sitting there for 3 hours.
Fortunately I have a few stands that back up houses with the prevailing wind however that isn't dependable with thermals, still air and wind shifts.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:42 am

I don't get that many sits in a season, but if I was trying to kill that specific animal, all of them. I think you're asking a different question.. if you have the perfect setup that is perfect entry and you have the right wind, and you got that route pegged, I think you can do 4-5 consecutive sits. I've actually experienced that many times and more recently have confirmed that with cameras that I've set early and only checked well after the hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”