Walking Softly

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sunset samurai

Walking Softly

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:13 am

Just creeped in on a bed Iv been wanting to hunt, the wind is perfect today, however the tree I anticipated hunting is still a 80+/- yards away, timing my steps with wind and traffic etc. Was just not enough for me to be confident, the dry leaves sounded like broken glass even at a snails pace, so I dared not push it any closer. What are some tricks you guys are doing to help silence steps? Thanks

[ Post made via Android ] Image

cdeam

Re: Walking Softly

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:20 am

Take your boots off

grangger

Unread postby grangger » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:33 am

This is a good topic. I want to walk and hunt with my bow this year.
spyder357

Unread postby spyder357 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:23 am

I've not tried it but i've heard of people putting wool socks over their boots to muffle the sound.
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:18 am

1 barefoot is the best(watch for snakes), no shoes with socks, next I'd say the amphibian five toe shoes, then tennis shoes, I don't see socks over shoes making much difference. Then focus on each step hills to toes, slow n steady... Bout all ya can do, you can try to use background noise to help but I think deer tune those sounds out..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:36 am

I have taken my boots off and walked in sox in extreme dry/quiet conditions. Other than that you just have to go slow and stagger your steps so you don't sound like a person walking. The biggest challenge is not breaking a branch under the leaves. A little crunching here and there is ok but a snapped branch usually means there is some weight behind it and that will get their attention. Also what sounds really loud to you will be muffled at 100+ yards away so you aren't doing as much damage as you might be think. Oh and go slow slow slow, especially that last 100-200 yards to your setup.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:20 pm

Good ideas cant wait to try them

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:59 pm

If there are squirrels around just 'nose' or 'tap' your boot around in the leaves every few steps. Sounds just like a squirrel. Had to do this several times this week and was able to get within 75 yards of bedded deer a couple times. But you can't break sticks.

As was said super slow pace. Final approach I am probably covering 10 yards in 5 minutes or so...

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:42 pm

No shoes sound like a terrible option (ticks, chiggers, fire ants, copper heads..)

Walking silently has to be my biggest weakness, especially in some of these boots where the soles are 2" wider and longer than my regular shoes. I've debated hunting in tennis shoes, but crossing creek bottoms would be miserable.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:08 pm

I bought a pair of safari sneakers, 2 or 3 years ago. I think I paid 24.99 for them. They Velcro over my hunting boots and have a furry padded sole. I think they reduce walking noise by about half. I make about as much noise walking fast as if I was really walking slow.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”