Silent Summit for Bed Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blueKYstream

Re: Silent Summit for Bed Hunting

Unread postby blueKYstream » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:50 am

I've used a Summit 180 for the last 5 or so years. Noise hasn't really been a big concern of mine with the stand. It's amazing to me but deer either don't hear me climb a tree or they view it as a natural sound and pay no attention. I don't know which stand (Summit or Alpha) is quicker to setup/breakdown.

I think the biggest weaknesses with using a Summit climber are scouting/preparing a tree beforehand, having cover at the height you hunt and, for me, ease of packing/hiking (the Summit 180 is a bit bigger than a Viper or Alpha making it more difficult to carry). The strengths are having a shooting rail, very comfortable seat, ability to hunt at higher heights (depends on the tree), I tie a backpack to the rail which allows me to easily get to a grunt tube, binoculars, etc. Personally, I think the noise differences are a bit overstated.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Silent Summit for Bed Hunting

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:53 am

If I'm sitting more than a few hours I prefer the Viper too. The Assault with 5 sticks is actually heavier. It's also far less comfortable. After an hour I don't want to be in it anymore. Stiff back, soar but, they're not fun to be in. But like everything - they have their purpose.

The viper is loud. if a leave hits that hollow tube construction it pings. I've also had it creek in the cold but found tweaking/resetting it on the tree cures that. Stealth strips sure would help it out. But the stealth strips seem to be the perfect width for lone wolf products. But others (not wide enough to completely wrap my Muddy sticks) can be an issue. Probably have a similar experience with the stand. You'll have to get extra material so you can wrap the top half and then the bottom half of the rails. They work well though. I just wish they offered more dimensional options.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”