Naming Public Lands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Apex

Naming Public Lands

Unread postby Apex » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:48 pm

Question: What's your opinion about having discussions of public lands mentioned by name on any open forum?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

hunter_mike

Re: Naming Public Lands

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:14 pm

I feel that information given needs to to stay very vague and generalized. I feel that any info given publicly that specifically mentions certain spots within the property is unfair to others who hunt it because it has the potential to draw internet creepers into spots that they would not have found on their own.

It can be useful to know if other forum members hunt the same areas as you. I discovered a few that hunt where i do through the forum. We have dicussed some very particular spots before, but kept it private for obvious reasons.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Do so at your own risk, same with posting aerials. 8-)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:22 pm

Whoops double post. :violence-bowandarrow:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:27 am

I posted a thread awhile back asking if any beast members hunted a particular large piece of public in Michigan that ive never hunted. I got alot of negative feedback which I expected. Not to smart to say public is good on the internet. I did hook up with another beast member thru private messaging and did some scouting out there.

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:50 am

Even though some of the public areas are pretty big, I don't think even the name should be shared. I've had some great private conversations with members about particular areas, but that's the best place for those conversations. My winter scouting has paid off so far this year, I'm passing cars on the side of the road and seeing deer where others probably have no interest in accessing. I want to keep it that way!
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:21 am

I don't even tell my friends where I hunt anymore. There's far too many scabs that want me to do the scouting for them. So I'm definitely not giving away any info to the interwebs

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:27 am

The only people I share with are my two brothers. We know where each other's spots are, share a lot of intel, and none of us talk to anyone else about it. We have put each other on a lot of good bucks over the years. It works well when you can have a small group you can trust like that, the collective net is a lot bigger....when you are all by yourself that is one drawback. But yea, he who trusts a stranger or casual acquaintance is nieve :D
Apex

Unread postby Apex » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:27 am

justin84 wrote:Even though some of the public areas are pretty big, I don't think even the name should be shared.

Agree 100%. I cringe every time is see a public land named dropped online. We recently went to a Midwest WMA where we got into some big deer. One was world class. No kills but the encounters were there. The reason we went here was because it had the habitat for big deer and zero results in a Google search. Too many internet scouters putting public lands on blast these days without putting in legwork and phone work finding things out the "quiet way". :)

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:18 am

Without a doubt people talk. The majority of the guys I know only dabble in hunting or it's just that, big talk. This is a great thread to remind us to be tactful and be discreet.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:25 am

Never ever mention public land names on an open forum. If you don't think it will do damage why don't you ask the guys who had their favorite lakes ruined by Lake Link. :think:

That's what PM's are for. ;)

mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:40 am

It really bums me out.. but it's true. I have a few places I'd love input on, as I try to learn the beast style, but I just don't want to risk putting up the names/details of sections I hunt. And I love seeing other aerials/topos posted and marked up, but even that is becoming rare for people to do... it's such a great way to learn (at least in my opinion).
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:47 am

mibowhunter wrote:It really bums me out.. but it's true. I have a few places I'd love input on, as I try to learn the beast style, but I just don't want to risk putting up the names/details of sections I hunt. And I love seeing other aerials/topos posted and marked up, but even that is becoming rare for people to do... it's such a great way to learn (at least in my opinion).

Just show very small sections and scribble out all identifiable gps coordinate and land/water feature labels before posting.

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:15 am

I like to PM maps to guys here on the beast that I can trust. Beast members that are across the country and very knowledgeable.

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:14 am

There's a spot I was cyber scouting last year. Never set foot in there. Last year a beast posted a topo of it on here to ask a few questions. I crossed it off my list. But there are folks out there that would not be that courteous. Guard your ground!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”