Some people...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: Some people...

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:12 am

Jeff G wrote:That guy and his comments are a joke. I guess according to him I also am a bad shot. I shot at a running buck twice on one of our deer drives and missed both shots.

:lol: :mrgreen:

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:30 am

No matter what anybody does there's always a jerk to rain on the parade. I see nothing wrong. That's hunting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:35 am

I have a saying. Those who can't do,,,,,,teach. Good luck to the "instructor".....I'm sure he uses a single shot cause he's so great. :roll:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
mhill

Unread postby mhill » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:36 am

I don't mean to stir the pot guys, but how can you look past your target animal to see if there is a person beyond the animal? How is that safe that your shooting at an animal that could be running toward and area where a hunter/drivers are standing or walking.

A second observation of the video didn't show a single shot between the shoulder and the hind end unless we could not see the other 2 shots. I saw 2 shots that landed, the head and back leg near the ankle. where did the other 2 land. of the 2 shots that we cant see where any lethal, heart, liver, lungs? Hitting a deer in a non lethal area is worse than a miss IMO and chances of a bad hit increases when deer are running. If you shoot and hit a deer in a non lethal area obviously you want to try to do what dan that maybe exactly why dan did what he did to try to make a lethal shot. bad shots happen I understand, and you have to try your best to make it right by shooting til you make a lethal hit.

So on one side I agree with putting deer out of their misery as soon as possible by shooting them multiple times but I don't agree with having to shoot at a deer that's running. a jog is one thing a sprint is another.

To each their own. I personally don't want to risk a bad shot by shooting at a running deer. Im not bashing, just stating my opinion.
Bowtech D350
Axcel Accutouch
Goldtip Velocity 300
Grim Reapers
XOP Enforcer
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:38 am

Spysar wrote:I have a saying. Those who can't do,,,,,,teach. Good luck to the "instructor".....I'm sure he uses a single shot cause he's so great. :roll:

:lol:

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:48 am

4 out of 5 shots is pretty good.. I would of kept shooting too Until I seen it go down.

Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:56 am

Everybody has critics. No big deal here. That's a typical Youtube hunting related comment.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:03 am

mhill wrote:I don't mean to stir the pot guys, but how can you look past your target animal to see if there is a person beyond the animal? How is that safe that your shooting at an animal that could be running toward and area where a hunter/drivers are standing or walking.

Also not trying to be a pot stirrer, but by this logic, you could never shoot at a deer ever, correct????

As for the youtube comment, some folks are interesting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:13 am

mhill wrote:I don't mean to stir the pot guys, but how can you look past your target animal to see if there is a person beyond the animal? How is that safe that your shooting at an animal that could be running toward and area where a hunter/drivers are standing or walking.

A second observation of the video didn't show a single shot between the shoulder and the hind end unless we could not see the other 2 shots. I saw 2 shots that landed, the head and back leg near the ankle. where did the other 2 land. of the 2 shots that we cant see where any lethal, heart, liver, lungs? Hitting a deer in a non lethal area is worse than a miss IMO and chances of a bad hit increases when deer are running. If you shoot and hit a deer in a non lethal area obviously you want to try to do what dan that maybe exactly why dan did what he did to try to make a lethal shot. bad shots happen I understand, and you have to try your best to make it right by shooting til you make a lethal hit.

So on one side I agree with putting deer out of their misery as soon as possible by shooting them multiple times but I don't agree with having to shoot at a deer that's running. a jog is one thing a sprint is another.

To each their own. I personally don't want to risk a bad shot by shooting at a running deer. Im not bashing, just stating my opinion.

There were no hits in the ankle or lower leg, you were probably just seeing blood on it. The second and third shot was thru the chest, which put the deer down, but it got back up, and thats when it really took off and I hit him with the 5th in the head... One shot did go thru an upper leg. As far as knowing my target and beyond, every hunter was in a tree except me, I was on a ladder shooting down into the cattails, and one other guy was on a hill behind me to cover any deer that got thru. I could see the drivers, they all where orange hats and if there is any doubt we don't shoot. We also occasionally radio everyone to stop and hold there hat up so we know where they are...
My success (kill) rate is no different hunting normal movement than it is doing drives, and my drives are safe...
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:17 am

I'm willing to bet that the commenter in question here has never been a part of a deer drive...especially one in the cats.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bow_Badger

Unread postby Bow_Badger » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:56 am

Deer drives have been around forever. I personally don't do a lot of deer drives unless it's with hunters I trust but do think it's a good way to harvest deer. If you're being safe and know where everyone is in your party( and other parties) no harm in this style of hunting. I think some people get stuck in there own way of doing things and if they see someone doing something different they feel the need to bash the situation. I see nothing wrong with posting the video. Let the person show it to the class maybe a student will learn something from it. I would say to him, let the students make there own decisions on how they want to hunt. Don't just show them video and say this is wrong, teach the kids about hunting safety. Tell them if you're going to do deer drives make sure u do ...etc etc and look for...etc etc. in order to be safe in woods. You're there to teach not pass judgement.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:51 am

Dan, I have some questions -

How far was the first shot? Where did you hit the deer on the first shot? When you squeezed the trigger did you think - this is a dead deer? Filming the walk up looks like one back leg is broken, also looks like a wound to the head - finishing shot?

After a deer is hit, I agree do whatever it takes to get more lead in it - I have taken second and third shots that I would never take as a first shot. It boils down to the circumstances of the first shot. While I agree the dude commenting was not tactful to say the least, and I like your style most of the time, I also almost every year put down a cripple in late season after the regular gun hunters get done flock shooting....so I know where the guy is coming from just in a general sense. Not saying your wrong. I also have done a ton of drives and shot a few running deer.

The idea of using a stepladder is pure genius, but I will admit the first time I heard about you doing it I wondered how stable a shooting platform that makes. I have been on a lot of stepladders and man would that shorten my effective range.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:02 am

I agree JoeRe.. its all about the first shot.

mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:10 am

all looked good to me. Some just dont like anyhing if its not done thier way. I have shot plenty on the run both drives & heavy pressured public like on opening day. great fun. itIts always been safe as was this hunt. Mike
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:34 pm

When u sink the step ladder into the first rung it is super stable. Kinda like cam locking the ladder. Haha. I climbed up it and it is very sturdy!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”