Lots of early scrapes and rubs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Lots of early scrapes and rubs

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:31 am

Couple days ago I walked a remote crop field edge and saw at least 6 scrapes. Most were by suspected entrances to fields. I can't hunt them, only nearby. I don't see scrapes in MI this early, but I've never walked this spot. Lots of bucks in the fields before dark, couple 2 and 3 year Olds too. Is this their core early season hangout? Still in Bach groups mostly. SE MI.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Ruger

Re: Lots of early scrapes and rubs

Unread postby Ruger » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:21 am

All the early scrapes we see in Louisiana are from young bucks feeling frisky and trying to get the jump on the old bucks.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:30 am

I've found just the opposite to be true in the areas I have hunted (mainly TX, OK, OH, KS, MO, MT and KY). When I find an early September rub line or scrape I now almost always suspect it to be a dominate buck. Having survived a few breeding seasons I just think their anticipation gets them (just like it did me when I hit my early 20s) as they know what is upcoming. My best buck to date was located (I didn't even know he existed) when I found an early September scrape and hunted it early Oct.
burtle

Unread postby burtle » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:41 am

I'm seeing some scrapes on small trees. Usually happens every year in in my area.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:16 am

I got a pic of my target buck loaded with shredded up bark on his bases. Maybe the most I've seen. He must be shredding the trees.glad my apple trees are fenced in

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:04 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I've found just the opposite to be true in the areas I have hunted (mainly TX, OK, OH, KS, MO, MT and KY). When I find an early September rub line or scrape I now almost always suspect it to be a dominate buck.

x2. Especially with the scrapes.

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:03 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:I've found just the opposite to be true in the areas I have hunted (mainly TX, OK, OH, KS, MO, MT and KY). When I find an early September rub line or scrape I now almost always suspect it to be a dominate buck.

x2. Especially with the scrapes.

This was my understanding too. Also why I never see the scrapes early on the area I can hunt, since big boys dont start coming over here til about late September. Thats why I took notice. 2 of the good bucks were standing about 40 yards from the biggest scrape. Maybe 1/2 car hood size, I was surprised, and it looked like it just started recently. Small sod like chunks were still green off to the side.
jboswell
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.boswell.12

Unread postby jboswell » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:33 am

I see that you cant hunt right on the scrapes but if ya see that when you can...

If those scrapes are close to bedding and fresh, hunt them now! Predicting rain here for tomorrow, my sons youth season opens up, we will be sitting on an oak flat with a few scrapes and rubs that runs up against a cornfield.... I'm excited!
blueKYstream

Unread postby blueKYstream » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:11 pm

I found a couple rubs in Kentucky last weekend (9-12-15). The first was found after exiting a brushy hillside where it opens up a bit with some oaks. I didn't find any beds, but I may be looking in the wrong spots. The second was found directly on a South-facing point near bedding. Unfortunately, I was snorted by 2 deer bedding separately as I found the second rub. I didn't get to see if they were bucks/does. I checked trail cameras in a different area and it looked like a couple 2.5 or 3.5 year-olds shed their velvet between 9/11/15 and 9/12/15.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”