New to Farm Country. Help appreciated (Aerial photo included

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Debo03

Re: New to Farm Country. Help appreciated (Aerial photo incl

Unread postby Debo03 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:45 am

Thanks guys. Yea those are all things I have been thinking about. I honestly think the only spot I can hunt is the northern end of the western point with a west wind. I can aproach from the east using a hill in the middle of the pasture as cover until I get to the patch of woods. I think I can also glass that bed from the road before goin in to make sure he is there. The only problem is that's the only place I feel like has any potential and its 2 and half hours away. Long way to go just see a spike using that bed or nothing using it at all. I guess I should try to find some good stand land nearby as a backup.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Debo03

Unread postby Debo03 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:07 am

ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:21 am

I would try entering from the east right on the south property line, hunt that lone tree that is before the tree line at the creek with a SE/E wind and you might catch something coming to the neighbors beans

Debo03

Unread postby Debo03 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:19 am

ERICBROOKS wrote:I would try entering from the east right on the south property line, hunt that lone tree that is before the tree line at the creek with a SE/E wind and you might catch something coming to the neighbors beans

[ Post made via iPhone ] [img]http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/images/mobile/iPhone
.png[/img]

Yep. That stuck out to me as well. Aparently it did to the neighbor as well. He has a lockon in that tree. :/

ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:49 am

Bummer. Guess you could hang one on the other side of the tree!! Lol

WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:07 pm

what i see .....without being there ..i like the most southern part of your land ..that leads to the woods on further southwest.
just a hunch the bucks might come from that patch of woods to make his rounds up that ditch.
oh don't be discouraged at all. stanley is right about enter/exit, but a few yrs back i had the very same set-up as you have ,almost identical. i was amazed at the bucks that traveled that open country fence/ditch line. my problem was i had to go really high in my set-up and i didn't like that. don't over look trails going east and west that crosses your line...that's the area i picked out ,on my line.
you might not see them until it snows ,but I'll bet they are there.
close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
Debo03

Unread postby Debo03 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:16 pm

There are trails going all through it east and west my issues with those are that I would think they are predominantly used at night, especially for mature bucks, because it wouldn't make sense for mature bucks to survive very long crossing that huge field just to cross the ditch and cross another big field in daylight regularly. Just my thoughts though

WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Debo03 wrote:There are trails going all through it east and west my issues with those are that I would think they are predominantly used at night, especially for mature bucks, because it wouldn't make sense for mature bucks to survive very long crossing that huge field just to cross the ditch and cross another big field in daylight regularly. Just my thoughts though

your right, he won't go across in broad daylight, too many times.but right at first light and last light ...or high noon in the rut!
close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
Debo03

Unread postby Debo03 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:37 am

WEEGEE wrote:
Debo03 wrote:There are trails going all through it east and west my issues with those are that I would think they are predominantly used at night, especially for mature bucks, because it wouldn't make sense for mature bucks to survive very long crossing that huge field just to cross the ditch and cross another big field in daylight regularly. Just my thoughts though

your right, he won't go across in broad daylight, too many times.but right at first light and last light ...or high noon in the rut!

Thank you sir for sharing your experience. I will heed your advice and give it a try!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”