BBD X 3

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

3dog

BBD X 3

Unread postby 3dog » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Brother Joe and I wrapped up our 9 day bow hunt this past Sunday. Must say it was the best 9 days of whitetail hunting I've ever had. Joe got on the board first Sunday night with a public 3yo freak buck.

Monday morning I was scouting a piece of public I know pretty well. Instead of taking the normal path in, I hung a quick left and dove into a 3 acre patch of Russian olive. All I can say is thank God that stuff doesn't have thorns. I was thru the worst of it and gearing down as I approached the hardwoods when I see legs at 30 yards angling towards me. I couldn't tell if the deer had walked by or was still there when I heard deep grunt followed by branches being horned. The buck moved closer and now I can see his outline and glimpes of very dark horn. It was a classic standoff, there was nothing I could do. I stood, sat down and even slid to the side a foot but I couldn't find a hole, the ball was in his court. Finally he started to move towards my downwind side and I risked a move as he passed behind a thick section, busted! Three snorts and he was gone. I spent the next 2 hours scouring the immediate area and figured he wasn't bedding in the olive but did find his track leading to an open short point with a brushy fenceline on the backside. I prepped a tree at the point's tip just on the down hill side. I knew I'd have to hang low for an eye level shot at the top and keep myself under the canopy branches for a downhill shot to the thicket I'd seen him in that morning. I hung my stand at 5' as gray light broke the next morning. The leaves were wet and I knew I'd have to pay special attention to the top so I kept my eyes there for most of the morning, except when he showed up. I caught movement and looked over to see an eye popping rack angling towards me. He was eye level and well in range. I went for the camera and bow as he started to pass behind 3 large red oaks. I pointed the camera, hit record, clipped on the release and looked up just as he stopped shy of the third oak then looked in my general direction. I can't say he was a booner but the horns were black from base to tip, the tines were average to good height but thick and wavy. He was 20" plus inside and his beams had an upward sweep at the end. And that's the last I ever saw of him. I put my eyes down because I never thought it was a good idea to stare at them but mostly to keep my heart rate from flying off the chart. I heard him start to move, slid the bow back and he walked a straight line away the next fifty yards keeping the oak between us, I couldn't even get the camera on him. It was an experience I'll never forget.

The next two days we had heavy wind and scouted a lot. Did see another real good buck, probably 4yo, working the downwind side of a down bedding area in the 50 plus gusts. Thursday morning it finally started calming down and Joe went back to the public he scored on Sunday. I think he's really starting to like this property.

Thursday night I went back to the public I saw the windy buck on. No horns but a doe came in just before dark.

Friday morning I cut up the doe and knew I needed a break from the deep plunge hang and hunts. It was relatively calm so I opted for a valley hunt on my Dad's 11 acres. It's basically just a weed field, short wood line and some strips of no till oats I'd planted in August. I'd been getting some good bucks on camera there including a main frame 10 with split G2's so I figured it was as good a place as any. The deer should be on a feeding pattern after the high winds and the oats had been getting clipped pretty good. The 200 yard walk and straight shot up the tree were much appreciated but darkness was setting in and the only action I had was listening to a group of turkeys roost on the neighbors hill. A late squirrel came hopping in and I considered some target pratice but he got thru before I could zip a judo at him. I gave the oat strip one last look and there stood a shooter at 40 yards, how he got there I'll never know. I swapped the judo for a broad head and peaked over my shoulder, the bucks head was down feeding. I went for the camera and had to wrap the arm around my backside to get an angle on him when I see a doe at 15. She was head bobbing and licking her nose, I felt the degree of difficulty ratchet up multiple notches. I stayed still and the doe calmed down enough to start feeding her way thru. Her course would take the buck to my extreme back left and I started to inch out on the edge of my stand. Just when I thought I was going to pull it off she caught movement, busted me and started high hopping away thru some goldenrod. The buck took this as a sign of lust, grunted short, then long and chased after her. It took three heavy bleats to stop him just above a small hole in the branches of the tree I was sitting in. I bent my knees till he was centered in the hole, figured about 40, settled the pin and touched it off. I heard the arrow tick and lost sight of it. For the shortest of moments I figured to be coming home with only a story but then heard a crack as his hind end dropped out from under him. He rolled into some golden rod and all was quiet. Knowing it was a bad hit, I sat quiet as a church mouse for the next 5 to 10 minutes with arrow ready. I heard movement in the golden rod, then saw a horn rise and fall followed by a groan.

Not my proudest of shots, it clipped the bottom of the pelvic and he more than likely bled out thru the femoral. But like I've said before, I've had more than my share of misfortune with hunting so I'll take the good fortune when it comes along.

Couldn't have asked for a better vacation but it was one of a lot of work. I had taken another doe that Monday we never took a picture of. All in all, we took 5 animals in 6 days of hunting and everything was butchered by the 7th day. Our freezers are full and it's time to start zeroing in on some of the other big ones we've been keeping tabs on. The next vaca starts November 12th and takes us right to gun season.

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Re: BBD X 3

Unread postby Casper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Wow thats awesome. You two had a of a week. Congrats to both of you!
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:51 pm

Wow congrats guys! 8-)
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:42 pm

Wow, sounds like yall had a blast! Congrats
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:51 pm

Good read Bob. Congrats to you and Joe, hope you took a knife sharpener with you, what a meat fest.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:10 pm

Way to go Bob and Joe!!!! Excellent story and excellent bucks guys. 8-)
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:21 pm

Very exciting! Congratulations to you both!
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:57 pm

Cool story and congrats and the fine kills.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:21 am

Nice deer guys! When you put your time in you get rewarded! Congrats.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:32 am

CONGRATS to both of you!!! That looks and sounds like you guys had a great time.
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:37 am

8-) Way to put em down guys! That's what I call a successful trip!
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:41 am

Awesome!! You guys really know your stuff!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:12 am

Wow what a great trip and great bucks guys, congrats!
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:42 am

Awesome story! and what an unforgettable hunt. Congrats on some great bucks.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:12 am

Cvant waitto climb doWn an see this post on normal computer
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”