Rut vs Beast Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Rut vs Beast Hunt

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:37 am

If you could hunt 4 evenings of roughly 3 hrs per sit on beds, or spend 12 hrs on an all day sit on your pick of one day during rut, which would you do? No glassing or observation for either. Which is better odds, assuming you post season scouted for both?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: Rut vs Beast Hunt

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:58 am

Beast hunting to me is all about bed hunting and post season scouting. During the rut, deer arent predictable. If ai had 3-4 good buck beds Id much rather hunt them once each than sit all day during the rut. I think predictable is better.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:43 am

A Beast hunt every time, unless I've burned up all my beds for that season. A Rut hunt is honestly a toss up, you never know what's going to happen
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:39 am

Beast hunt.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:43 am

Four evenings on beds as long as I know from scouting they are the best bedding. There are a lot of beds out there that get occasional use - the vast majority where I hunt are used infrequently, you could hunt 20 of them and see 1 mature buck...or none. So it would depend greatly on how good I though the bedding was.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:23 am

Four hunts are always better than one...What if it's unseasonably hot that one day? If I had the option of 4 rut days versus four early season bed hunts, I'd choose the rut hunts every time. I'll take my chances when the big bucks are simply moving more versus early season bed hunts.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:18 am

Im kind of surprised at the responses so far. Most say the rut is easier, yes more random, but easier. I have good scouted beds, I'm confident in my stand locations, but just seems so unlikely. Seems to easy, on hunt day i mean. I put in LOTS of scouting last winter here and public finding buck beds. Maybe it's something I have to be successful at to believe. Geez Oct 1st can't come soon enough...

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:35 pm

I really do not usually like to be on post for more then 3 hours, sometimes two is good.

I might sit all day once every three years.

So I choose short hunts.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:43 pm

My back and body can't handle all day hunts.

I like about 2.5 hours w/ Advil.

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:59 pm

I would choose the all day hunt second week of November and that's because I hunt farm country. Bedding is random IMO. This year is my first beast hunting year and I only have maybe 4-5 buck beds pinned down. Each year I plan on added more tho thru spring scouting.

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:04 pm

I hunt farm country, with small marshes mixed in. I can't wait to hit these beds. Sitting all day is tougher than it sounds.

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:37 pm

whats the difference between a beast and rut hunt in reality, your going after a beast of a buck anyway, buck going to food vs a buck looking for a doe, what's the difference ? Guys kill them in the rut some of its luck, but most guys on here have planned the rut kill

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:46 pm

4 vs 1 :think: I'd go with 4
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:13 pm

johndeere506 wrote:Im kind of surprised at the responses so far. Most say the rut is easier, yes more random, but easier. I have good scouted beds, I'm confident in my stand locations, but just seems so unlikely. Seems to easy, on hunt day i mean. I put in LOTS of scouting last winter here and public finding buck beds. Maybe it's something I have to be successful at to believe. Geez Oct 1st can't come soon enough...

Keep in mind the result is partly due to just what is talked about and advocated on here. Rut hunts are not sexy here :D . Go to any other forum and you would get a completely different answer. The truth is you need four really REALLY good bedding setups, with the perfect wind and conditions, to equal the odds of an all day sit in an awesome rut setup. That is what I was trying to get at with my earlier post. If I had that I would go the bed hunting route otherwise no.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:02 am

If I had to choose from either 4 bed setups or 1 rut all day hunt, I'd choose the bed setups. There are some factors in this to me that make it easier. One is for the rut hunt it can turn on in an instant and also be cold quick. And different days during the rut can be hard to predict when it's going to be hot. In bed hunting the elements such as wind, pressure, food, set up, exit and entrance routes are much easier to predict to me. I have 4 chances at setting up on a mature buck in his bedroom over 1 chance that he travels through a rut location looking for love.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”